Twenty-Eight

Crooked 

Twenty-Eight

One week later...

           "Leroy?" Epiphany called out as she slowly opened the door of his room. She peeked her head in slightly and watched as her brother tossed underneath the satin covers. "Are you sleeping?" The young boy's eyes popped open as he quickly sat up. Leroy was used to his sister coming in to check on him. It was something Epiphany did every night like clockwork.

"Nah, I'm up." Leroy yawned, stretching out his arms. "You leaving now?"

Epiphany nodded as she stepped into the room fully, closing the door behind her. "The car ride is four hours. It better to leave early before the traffic starts."

"Oh." Leroy muttered, suddenly feeling sad. He knew Epiphany was going off to college, but he didn't expect her departure to come this fast. Leroy was going to miss his sister. She was all he had ever known for the past couple of years. It was going to be his first time navigating everyday life without her. No more yelling at him to wake up early for school or to do his homework. Leroy was going to have to take the responsibility into his own hands.

Epiphany sat on the edge of his bed before she pulled him into a hug. She knew it was going to be a while before she saw Leroy again, so she held on tight. "I love you, okay? Make sure you listen to Crook while I'm gone. Don't be messy and make sure you clean up after yourself. Always remember that we're just visitors. This isn't our house, so don't get too comfortable, okay?"

"So, w-we're not staying here forever?" Leroy frowned in a childlike tone. He wondered why Epiphany always talked about their stay as if it was temporary. Leroy never wanted to go back to the projects. He had gotten used to the finer taste of life and didn't understand why his sister was still holding on to the hood.

"I can't promise that Leroy." Epiphany sighed, feeling bad. She didn't want to sound like a Debbie-downer, but she didn't want to get Leroy's hopes up. "Just be careful. Don't stay up too late and make sure you always do your homework on time."

Leroy nodded, smiling. In true Epiphany fashion, she didn't hesitate to remind him to stay on top of his schoolwork. "I know you're getting older, Leroy, but make sure you stay away from those little bitches at Clinton. I don't wanna have to fight nobody while pregnant." She joked, making Leroy smirk.

"Come on, sis. You play too much." Leroy laughed, shaking his head.

"I just want you to take care of yourself." Epiphany reiterated, touching his face softly. "Even though I'm going to be upstate, you know you can always count on me. I'm just a phone call away."

Leroy nodded. "I hear you sis. Take care of yourself and the babies too."

Epiphany smiled once Leroy gently rubbed her baby bump. She gave him another hug before pulling away. Looking into his eyes, Epiphany spoke again, "Remember what I told you. Don't tell Crook about the loan shark."

Leroy furrowed his eyebrows before cutting his eyes at Epiphany. Suddenly, Leroy felt uncomfortable. He didn't understand why Epiphany was bringing up the white guy on the day she was leaving. "I know. I thought you said you already handled it?" Leroy asked, confused.

"I did." Epiphany lied with ease. "That's why I'm making sure that you won't say anything. Promise me, Leroy." Now that she wasn't going to be with Leroy daily, she wanted to make sure he didn't slip up.

Epiphany refused to fall for Agent Banks's games and decided to head to Syracuse without getting Nicholas's urn back. Epiphany felt like she had betrayed her brother, but she hoped he would understand. She didn't care what tactics Banks used. Epiphany no longer wanted to associate herself with Agent Banks ever again.