Twenty-Three

Crooked

Twenty-Three

          Epiphany bit down on her lip as she watched Crook drive through the streets of the Bronx. The burial procession ended forty-five minutes ago, and Crook was dropping Epiphany off. The car ride was silent the entire way. Epiphany knew there weren't any more comforting words left that she could say, and she didn't blame Crook for not speaking either.

When Crook pulled up in front of her project building, Epiphany felt conflicted. Their car ride seemed so short, and she was saddened that it was over. Epiphany didn't want to leave Crook. Her heart ached as she stared at his emotionless face and before she left the car she asked. "Are you sure you're going to be okay?"

"I'm good. Don't worry." Crook told her, but Epiphany did worry. Although he hadn't shown emotion the whole day, Epiphany knew that he was hurting. His cold gaze made her remember how Leroy acted at their father's funeral. It hurt Epiphany knowing that so many black men refused to show emotion. She knew Crook had experienced a lot of deaths in his life, so he was numb, but Epiphany wished that he felt comfortable enough to release what he had bottled up for so many years.

Epiphany reached over to give him one last hug before she left. His strong arms and scent enticed her, and she felt guilty once her panties moisten. Now is not the time bitch, Epiphany mentally scolded herself. Epiphany's eyes closed during their embrace, and she wished she could spend the night with Crook.

"Stay with me." Crook voiced, looking Epiphany directly in her eyes. "Stay with me tonight." Epiphany's heart pounded in her chest—it was almost as if he read Epiphany's mind.

"I—"

"I need you." Epiphany's eyes brightened as soon as the words left Crook's mouth. Her heart fluttered around as if it was a butterfly, and she felt a lump in her throat. I need you made Epiphany feel like she was on a cloud. It wasn't I love you, but she had high hopes those words would be said to her sooner than later.

"What about Leroy?"

"Bring him." Epiphany swallowed as she looked in Crook's eyes. She nodded, not saying anything else.

"I'll be right back." Epiphany told him. She leaned over and gave Crook a quick peck, realizing that it was the first time they had kissed in a week. Epiphany missed the feel of his soft lips and felt electricity zap through her body as soon as her lips met his once again. Epiphany hurried upstairs to her apartment, and she smiled once she saw Leroy stretched out on the couch watching ESPN.

"Hey sis." He called out with his eyes still fixated on the TV.

"Hey Leroy. Go pack a bag."

Leroy quickly looked at his sister who was now standing in the entrance of the living room. With clenched eyebrows Leroy asked, "For what?"

"We're going to spend a night with Crook...I mean unless you don't want to come." Leroy was now alert. He sat up promptly as he stared at Epiphany.

"You deadass?" Epiphany chuckled, letting him slide with the cursing.

"I'm deadass, now come on. He's waiting on us downstairs." Leroy watched Epiphany retreat into her room. Leroy quickly headed into the hallway closet. His five thousand dollars was in the duffle bag that he did have, and he knew that there was no way he could hide that money if he took it out. Leroy decided to empty out his old schoolbag and use that instead. He stuffed in a toothbrush, couple pairs of boxers, socks, basketball shorts and a T-shirt before he zipped the bag up. At the same time, Epiphany came out from her room with a bag of her own.