Sixteen

Crooked

Sixteen

         "Are you sure I look fine?" Epiphany asked Leroy for what seemed like the umpteenth time. The mauve pink dress she had on fit her body like a second skin. It had a plunging neckline along with tying straps that laced across her open back. The bottom of her dress had a dramatic train that followed behind her as she walked.

"You look ugly." Leroy told her and laughed once Epiphany playfully hit his chest.

"It's not funny!" Epiphany almost pouted. She was so nervous that she felt her hands were about to start sweating. Her 30-inch wig was styled into body wave curls, and she had on a soft glam makeup look that made her look like she had just walked right off the cover of a magazine.

It was her first time ever wearing makeup and being so dressed up. Epiphany couldn't lie, she wanted to take off everything and retreat to her room instead of going to prom.

"I'm just playing E. You look great," Leroy smiled at his sister. His words calmed Epiphany's nerves for a minute before her heart started to race again. "You about to win best dressed."

"You think so?" Epiphany asked as she glanced over herself in the mirror. "Don't gas me up."

"I'm not— it's a really nice dress. It doesn't even look like you got it last minute."

Epiphany smiled before she turned around to give Leroy a hug. "Thank you, Leroy."

Leroy was anxious, but he hugged Epiphany back. "W-what you thanking me for?" He was praying to God that Aaliyah didn't spill the beans and told Epiphany about him giving her $2,000 for her prom needs.

Epiphany laughed as she looked at Leroy with a playful look. "You just made me feel better about myself, that's all. Why you always actin' so suspicious nowadays?"

Leroy half laughed to fill the awkward silence as Epiphany awaited his response. He didn't know what to say. His mind was occupied with thoughts of potentially killing their brother for some money. He immediately thanked God once he heard loud knocking on the door.

"That must be Ty Ty." Epiphany grabbed her small clutch from the coffee table as she walked to the front door. Epiphany was all smiles when she opened the door, showing Ty Ty in a suit that matched her dress. His dreads were pulled back showing his handsome face and he had an expensive watch on his left arm.

Ty Ty's face wore a shocked expression as he looked at Epiphany. He was flabbergasted. He tried to speak, but no words were coming out. Epiphany just looked at him with a confused smile on her face as she waited to hear what he was going to say.

"You...you look like the hood's Cinderella."

Epiphany's eyebrows furrowed as she smirked, not understanding his choice of words. "Is that supposed to be a compliment?"

Ty Ty's shocked facial expression was quickly replaced with a smile as he shook himself out of what was nearly a stupor. "Y-yeah my fault E. I was trying to say you look nice."

Epiphany smiled at him as she returned the compliment. "You look nice too, Ty Ty."

"Chill, I look gay." Ty Ty laughed.

Epiphany frowned, knowing he was just saying that because he was in a suit. "Don't say that. You look like a successful business owner."

"Yea aight." He waved Epiphany off. Leroy took a couple of pictures of the two before they got into an Uber that was waiting for them outside. They would've picked Aaliyah up, but she already had a prom date. A boy that had Down syndrome asked her to prom, and she agreed to go with him.

The Uber ride was relaxing to Epiphany. The nerves she had from earlier disappeared as she looked out the window, watching buildings and stores pass by as Meek Mill's new album softly played in the background. She felt eyes on her, and turned her head, catching Ty Ty staring at her. "What?"

Ty Ty waited a second before replying. "Nothing."

Epiphany nodded, ignoring his prompt answer. "What's that?" Epiphany asked Ty Ty, just now noticing the bottle he had in his hand.

"Juice."

Epiphany just nodded. "You want some? I don't got no cooties." Epiphany rolled her eyes and took the bottle out of his hands. It looked like an Arizona bottle, but the wrapper was peeled off.

Ty Ty cocked his head back a little, acting like he was offended when he saw Epiphany waterfalling his drink. "What you tryna say?"

"Ty Ty you know you eat pussy, stop."

Ty Ty busted out in laughter. "Fuck outta here, you act like niggas don't brush they teeth."

"Yeah whatever," Epiphany said. She poured some of the juice into her mouth and her face instantly screwed up. Her throat burned from the powerful taste while Ty Ty just laughed at her facial expression.

She hit Ty Ty's chest, recognizing the cough syrupy taste, "You gave me lean?" She harshly whispered, not trying to make the cab driver up front hear them.

"Don't it taste good?"