Twenty One

Crooked

Twenty-One

          Crook sped down the Major Deegan Expressway headed towards Fordham Road. He was sent by Candace to pick up a birthday cake for the twins' birthday. Candace decided to throw a small birthday party in her apartment before her and the foster kids would go to an all-exclusive trip to Hershey Park on the weekend. The trip was fully paid for by Crook and Candace was saddened that him and Taleah wouldn't be able to come along. It was the duo's last week in New York City, and they wouldn't return until August.

For the first time, Crook felt hesitant to go. Even though the annual trip was mandatory for his drug business, Crook wasn't ready to leave New York City. Epiphany was on his mind heavy and even though it had been three days since he last spoke or saw her, he couldn't bring himself to call. Crook knew that he couldn't speak to Epiphany without addressing the elephant in the room. Her "I love you" had him in disarray and Crook didn't know how to approach the situation without potentially hurting Epiphany's feelings.

Once Crook exited the expressway his phone began to ring. He pulled up under a redlight before answering the call. "Yo?"

"Yo! Did you hear?" Saint exclaimed, his voice blaring through the Bluetooth system in Crook's car. "That nigga Darren got smoked!" Crook stared down at his phone in disbelief. The unexpectant news left him in a daze. Suddenly, car horns started honking behind him, urging him to drive. Crook looked up quickly and saw that the traffic light had turned to green. He pushed down on the gas, making a sharp left before he spoke.

"What? By who?" The level of shock Crook felt was indescribable. Crook knew that not having a lawyer right now put him in a vulnerable position. With two of his stash-houses being raided within a week of one another, there was no telling what may happen next. It was a horrible time to be without a lawyer.

"You ain't see the news? His bitch killed him! Stabbed that nigga over 70 times! What a fucked up way to go," Saint sucked his teeth, shaking his head in disappointment.

"Fuck!" Crook cursed once he pulled up in front of Cassie's Cakes bakery. "What the fuck we supposed to do now?"

"Don't worry nigga. Imma do some diggin' around and see who I can find. Give me by the end of next week." Saint reassured him. Crook blew out a breath of frustration. Before he could reply, Crook noticed that there was somebody else calling him.

"Lemme call you back." Crook didn't give Saint a chance to respond before he clicked over to the other line. "Who's this?"

"C-Crook! It's me Leroy!" The boy's voice was shaky but excited at the same time. Leroy was in disbelief that Crook answered the phone. He couldn't believe that he was on the phone with somebody of his stature.

"Wassup kid?"

Leroy grinned as if Crook could see him. "I have something on N—"

"Where you at?" Crook interrupted him immediately. Crook didn't want the boy to potentially say something that could be used as ammo against him in the court of law. Crook didn't know if his phone lines were tapped, but he didn't want to take any chances especially after recent events.

"Uh, I'm at my crib right now."

"Meet me outside in 20 minutes."

"Okay!" Leroy failed to hide the excitement in his voice. Crook hung up the phone then exited his car, going into the bakery. Once Crook picked up the birthday cake, he quickly hopped back into his car and sped off towards Epiphany's project building.

As soon as Crook arrived, he saw both Leroy and Travante waiting outside. Crook honked his horn and the boys' faces brightened up once they saw that the sound came from him. "Oh shit, my nigga Crook! Wassup?" Travante greeted, mad hype. He had a big Kool-Aid smile on his face as he dapped Crook up through the driver's window.