Twenty-Four

Crooked

Twenty-Four

Two days later...

              Epiphany applied a glob of Edge Booster pomade on to her baby hairs. She swooped them like a pro before she put mousse over her freshly done jumbo knotless box braids. Epiphany decided to switch it up and made the ends of her thigh length braids curly instead of straight. She had grown tired of wearing the 30-inch frontal wig and wanted to go back to her usual style. Although the wig was convenient and gave her a different look, Epiphany realized she preferred protective styles better.

After applying a thin coating of mascara and clear lip gloss, her natural long eyelashes and thick lips were accentuated. Epiphany stared at her reflection until she was satisfied with the way she looked. She stepped out of the bathroom then out of Crook's bedroom. Closing the door behind her, Epiphany shouted, "Okay, Leroy! I'm leaving!"

She watched as Leroy stepped out of the guestroom, he was staying in. Once Leroy looked Epiphany up and down, his face scrunched up. "Where are you going?"

Leroy's disappointed stare had Epiphany feeling unsure and nervous. She looked down at the chocolate brown halter dress that clung on to every dip and curve of her body. The dress stopped right underneath her ass and Epiphany assumed that's what probably had Leroy frowning.

The dress was indeed shorter than what she was used to, but Epiphany figured it was "party appropriate." She didn't want to go there with jeans or sweats, because she would stick out like a sore thumb. Epiphany already had reservations about going but pushed them to the back of her mind. Ty Ty was right; she was still young and deserved to have fun.

Epiphany paired the dress with clear sandals and a small side bag where she held her phone, keys, and $100. "I'm going to a party. It's not too far away from here." It was the night of the hustler's ball that Ty Ty invited Epiphany to. After searching up the address Ty Ty sent over, the place was located only fifteen minutes away from Crook's crib. Epiphany blew out a breath of relief once she saw the Uber would cost her twelve dollars.

"Can me and Travante go?"

"What the hell y'all gon do at a party?" Epiphany sucked her teeth.

"Shit, the same thing you gonna do," shrugged Leroy.

"The difference is I'm 18 and you guys are still children. Don't get beside yourself, Leroy." Epiphany rolled her eyes, annoyed that he always had a slick remark. "And you owe the jar ten dollars for cursing. Is Travante still coming over?"

"Yeah, he on his way right now." Leroy grinned big, giddy for his best friend's arrival. Leroy was ecstatic when Crook greenlit Travante coming over. It deepened his newfound adoration for Crook. Leroy couldn't wait to show Travante around. Crook's home was like Coney Island with the different things you could do.

He had an outdoor pool, a game room, a movie theater, and a gym with a basketball court. Leroy was in heaven due to the endless possibilities of entertainment. Leroy felt like he was on summer vacation and couldn't wait to show his friend how he was living for the month of July.

"Aight, you two better act like y'all got some sense. Don't be running around here like this is our house, Leroy. Don't break anything and don't touch shit. Y'all better not invite nobody here either or we gon have a problem." Epiphany sassed, crossing her arms over her chest. "Imma fuck y'all up if y'all fuck this up for me. Crook trusted me enough to stay here while he's gone, please don't do anything to damage it."

"I know, E. Damn. We just gonna be in the pool and shit. Play 2K and be in the gym tryna get our weight up. We not doing anything crazy, I promise." Leroy spoke quickly, throwing his hands up in surrender. He could tell by the tone of his sister's voice that she was deadass, and Leroy didn't want any smoke.