Twenty-Five

Crooked

Twenty-Five

            Agent Banks tapped his foot impatiently as he waited for the results of his Google search to load. He bought a brand-new MacBook since he had broken his old one during a fit of rage. Agent Banks propped his fractured right hand up on the armrest of his black leather couch as he opened another tab, this time searching Crook's government name. Although he had gotten suspended, Agent Banks was working overtime.

Despite doctor's orders to rest his hand, Banks was up all day to the wee hours of the morning on his laptop, trying to find any information on Crook that could possibly implicate him in the court of law. However, Banks couldn't find anything. On paper, Crook was a lucrative businessman who owned multiple properties throughout the five boroughs. Agent Banks knew that his so-called businesses were fronts that were used to wash his drug money, but Banks knew that he didn't have any evidence to prove it.

Agent Banks gritted his teeth when he looked Diamond up on the National Missing Persons Database but saw that there were no recent updates on her case. He knew that she was dead, and Crook was the culprit, but yet again he had no proof.

Growing exhausted, Agent Banks grabbed his iPhone and saw that it was 11:45 p.m. His blue orbs were surrounded by a shade of red and he rubbed his eyes, trying to fight his sleepiness. Banks unlocked his phone and headed to his text messages. He read Epiphany's text for the hundredth time and simultaneously, a demonic scowl came across his face.

You crossed the line. I'm done Banks. Not doing this no more. Stay away from me and do not pop up at my apartment anymore. I don't need anything from you. This is done. I'm done.

Epiphany's text hit Agent Banks like a ton of bricks. When he first received the text two days ago, he almost got into a car crash. The shock and hurt Banks felt was indescribable as he swerved into a nearby lane, almost hitting a dark-colored Sedan. Banks knew that Epiphany's sudden change of heart was Crook's doing. That same day, Agent Banks immediately headed to Epiphany's projects in hopes to convince her otherwise but was stunned when she didn't answer the door. Banks put his ear against the steel door and was expecting to hear TV sounds or voices but heard silence instead.

He decided to wait in front of her project building until midnight to see if Epiphany would show up, but she never did. Banks's face turned red as a tomato as thoughts of Epiphany moving in with Crook filled his mind. With rage filling his veins, Banks decided to send Epiphany another text even though his previous messages were unable to successfully deliver to her phone.

You're really going to choose that thug over me? Did you forget all I've done for you? He could never do the things for you that I did. You're fucking him, aren't you? He's got inside of your head with that gangster charm, huh? You better tell him about us or I will.

Agent Banks rolled his eyes once his iPhone notified him that his text message couldn't be delivered. When Agent Banks called Epiphany for the sixty-seventh time in the past two days, he grew angrier when an automated voice spoke, "This number is not in service."

"Fuck!" Agent Banks yelled, throwing his iPhone across the room. It made a loud thud before it hit the carpeted floor. Banks had doubts that Epiphany would actually block him since they had history. He always came through for Epiphany when she needed something and thought the loyalty she had towards him was undying.

However, Banks now knew that it wasn't the truth. He couldn't believe he had given Epiphany that much grace over the years. Banks put her on a pedestal, always spoke highly of her and gave her whatever she asked for. Although Epiphany would have to get Agent Banks information on a local gang in return, he thought he was Epiphany's Messiah. How dare she? Agent Banks thought to himself as his nostrils flared.