30. Step on my feet

I'm honestly not even gonna try to justify myself at this point, only that I'm trying my best. I spent a month writing this chapter so I don't know if it's any good. This story is slowly coming to an end. Anyway, here's kind of a sweet filler chapter... I love yall

xx M

~

Zayn’s POV

“I still can’t believe you’re all here!” Macy exclaims. We just finished eating and I was feeling stuffed. Alexis and Harry had made a lot of gumbo but with the extra guests we hadn’t left a single drop! Dinner was silent but not in a very awkward way.

It had been a number of weeks since we saw them, the funeral had been quick and Lily’s snobbish parents had blamed us for her death so we had only been invited for her sake. We had not officially met.

“So who are these lovely boys?” her mother curiously asks the question no one has dared to ask yet.  A cautious look is on all our faces; how to explain this…

“Well,” Haleigh begins, glancing at me, “This is Zayn, Liam, Niall, Harry, and Louis. They’re from the UK and are here on vacation from the show they’re on, The X Factor.” she gestures to us girls before adding, “Most of us are dating them”

I squeeze her hand under the table, always here for support.

“Which one of you is dating my daughter?” Alexis’ dad asks in a harsh tone. Hals leans over to whisper in my ear, “He acts scary at first but is actually super nice and teddy-bearish when you get to know him. She’s always been a daddy’s girl”

Harry answers him, unintimidated, with a “That would be me sir” and one of his cheeky smiles and soon they are having conversation.

Mace’s mom on the other hand, is still giving her daughter questioning looks so Liam lifts their joint hands. She frowns disapprovingly and turns away but doesn’t push it.

I’m surprised that Liam, the more mature and serious one, isn’t accepted by the parents… With his good looks and polite smile, even I would date him.

{ hehe ziam ;D }

Haleigh introduces me to her mother who seems a bit reserved at first probably thinking the same old ‘he’s no good for my daughter’ but quickly becomes more comfortable after I talk to her.

“I’m so happy to have found Hals. She’s the most special girl I’ve met and it may not mean much at my age but—“she cuts me off

“Do you love her?” her voice cuts clear and straightforward. She looks a lot like Haleigh but aged and with firmer facial traits.

“I have for a long time.” Admiration in her eyes, the pigment exactly like her mothers’, she stares back at me with a smile.

Our moment is ruined by distractions coming from the other side of the table where Louis and Jeanne are showing her dad their ‘secret’ handshake, making weird noises and movements…  They may have broken up but their friendship is obviously still ever strong.

The parents look like they’re telepathically communicating, probably wondering why their children date hooligans like us…

Niall as usual is cackling in the background, Britney has her arms wrapped around his neck. As for her mother and father, his charming personality won them over the minute his humor and laughter filled the room.

Hals and Jeanne eventually get up to clear the table so I rise to join them, bringing filthy plates into the kitchen before dropping them off in the sink. I plant a kiss on my girlfriend’s soft lips,

“My mother told me she thinks you're handsome”

“Speaking of, I think I love her…” I say teasingly, she fake gasps.

“How could you?!” Unable to keep up the act, she smirks at me.

Jeanne sends us suggestive looks and the procreation gesture…but as much I am not opposed to it, Hals shakes her head at me. “Zen, don’t be dirty, my mom is over”

“Yeah… I just got on her good side, maybe you’re right” she gives me the ‘really?’ look, “Okay okay, you’re always right.” She smiles, satisfied.

When we leave the kitchen, the adults have moved outside, glasses of wine in their hands. Everyone has found a seat except Liam and Mace who have distanced themselves a bit and are having what seems to be an intense discussion in the corner. It’s not my place to interfere so I lead Haleigh to a lounge chair where she proceeds to sit on my lap. I can see a couple pairs of eyes widen over on the parents’ side but we don’t particularly care.

Mr. Oclara, Jeanne’s dad, calls for us to come over and join the conversation. Can’t we be antisocial in peace?

“What are your plans for tomorrow, kids?” he asks.

“We’re not kids, Dad…” Jeanne rolls her eyes with a smile, embarrassed.

“Well you’re still my baby-,” she cuts him off with a glare “Anyway, Frankie had an idea that we should all go to that country nightclub tomorrow! Doesn’t that sound fun!”

For some reason, only Harry found this idea appealing and started jumping up and down. Even Alexis stared at him like he’d grown an extra head, and she is usually down for anything. Britney speaks up,

“Mom that’s a terrible idea, they’re not from the South!”

“That’s exactly why; we can teach them how to dance and…” I don’t hear what she says after the D word, zoning out in shock. Oh no.

If there’s one thing I’m afraid of, it’s dance.

I don’t dance.

I try to protest but it’s too late, many have given in and I have no chance against the group of adults. They seem overjoyed to have convinced us into coming to their rodeo thing.

Apparently this place also involves mechanical bull riding so it won’t only be a square dancing disaster.

At this point, Britney’s mom is most definitely drunk and excitedly saying something about riding in the rodeo while clumsily trying to climb onto her husband’s back. At least we know where Brit gets her crazy from…

Haleigh squeezes my hand and gestures for us to go back inside as I’m sure she’s noticed that I’m a little stressed out for tomorrow.

We say a quick goodnight to everyone before heading to the room we share. She closes the door and heads to the bathroom to get ready for bed. I pull off my shirt, fishing for a pair of sweats to slip on before flopping onto the bed.

Usually I would wear a shirt but the nights are way too hot in North Carolina; although I do stay decent considering I would normally sleep in boxers. We’re only 16 after all.

Hals giggles at my sloppy position, attempting to push my limbs out of her spot while she whines “Zayn, get out of my way” dragging out the last word. Her hair is down in its natural few curls, she is wearing a pair of green stripped pajama shorts and a white shirt printed with a drawing of a bird.

She’s beautiful.

Once under the soft sheets, she cuddles up to me, resting her face on the firmness of my chest. The linens separate us from the world as if no one can see the caress of my hands on her side and shoulders. “I love you”. We kiss, we are both silent.

After a while, her eyes have closed but her breathing hasn’t slowed so I can tell she’s not asleep. I take a deep breath, preparing to whisper something to her

“You know I can’t either right?” she says before I even start my sentence.

“You can’t what?”

“Dance. Tomorrow night”

“Oh” is all I reply.

“You can step on my feet” she whispers and lets out a quiet yawn.