Chapter 16 - Quiet dinner & unexpected ink

Start from the beginning

"Please, it's Norah."  

"Sorry, Mi- Norah."  I gave him a small grin.

 "Thanks."  He lead me down to the awaiting car and I slipped into the back seat. My legs were bouncing up and down nervously as I glanced out the window. The bright lights of New York flashed by quickly as we drove. My heart pounded faster and faster the closer we got to his building. 

 "Hey Andrew?" I called.

  The man glanced up in the rearview mirror. "Yes, Norah?"

  "Uhm...How many women spend the night with Shawn? Like, you know. Sleep with him," I muttered awkwardly. 

 "I'm not at liberty to discuss Mr. Mendes' personal life," He said smoothly. 

 "Please, Andrew?" 

 "I can't. I'm very sorry," He replied. I could tell he was being honest from the tone of his voice. I twisted the rings on my fingers nervously and tried again. 

 "I won't tell him?"  He let out a soft sigh. 

"I can't say how many, but none of them have ever spent the night."  I nodded in thanks and pressed my forehead to the window, more confused than I had been when I got in the car. My headache from earlier was back and worse than ever. Andrew said no one spent the night, but the first time Shawn took me out he wouldn't even let me leave his house.  I shook the thoughts out of my head. I was also probably the first women he hadn't slept with on the first date, and he obviously didn't know how to handle that. 

I pinched my eyes shut at the thought and when I opened them again, we were pulling into the garage and I could see Shawn standing by the elevator.  He was back to dressing like normal, in dark suit pants and a white button down and dress shoes. The top button of the shirt was undone, the only thing making him look less like a CEO than usual. His eyes raked over me as I stepped out of the car, taking in my jeans and causal shirt. 

 "I thought we were having dinner, not going to the park," He stated coldly.  I stopped in my tracks. 

"Okay, well I'll leave then. Either that or you can break it down and start again. Your choice," I hissed, already pissed off. He effected me quicker and more thoroughly than anyone I had ever met. 

 He narrowed his eyes at me and cleared his throat before speaking again. "You look lovely, Norah. Very casual. Lovely choice."  

"Thank you, Shawn" I said sarcastically. He scowled and held out his hand.  "Come."  I glanced down at his outstretched fingers  and had gotten a glance of some black ink before grasping my clutch tighter.

 "I'll follow you."

  His jaw clenched but he managed to restrain himself from saying anything else. I felt his large hand find it's place on my lower back, leading me into the elevator. Remembering the previous times we had had in the elevator, I quickly stepped away from him as the door shut.  

"Are you scared?" He asked quietly. 

 "Not of you."  With a slight nod, he placed his hands behind his back and stood up straight, keeping his eyes focused on me as we slowly rose in the building. What must have been less than thirty seconds seemed like an hour. The tension was almost palpable.  I finally let out the breath I had been holding as the door opened. Shawn once again placed his hand protectively on my back as he led me towards the kitchen. The large flat looked exactly the same as it had the last time.  

"It smells nice," I commented as I sat down.  

"Thank you. We are having grilled chicken alfredo, a caesar salad, green beans, and rolls. There is ice cream for dessert," He replied.