Chapter One:

I could feel him staring at me through the back of my head. I wanted so badly to turn to him and smack him upside his head. When the bell finally rang, I rushed out of the door to my locker. I opened it and looked in the mirror that spanned the whole inside of the door. My blonde hair was straightened and went down to about the middle of my back. I noticed a bit of eyeliner was smudged in the corner of my green eyes, so I wiped it away. I looked down at my clothes. I went simple today and wore a dark grey shirt with a winged cross in the top left corner. On the back it was just the same cross but bigger. My jeans had holes in them, I was surprised I hadn't been caught for that yet.

I closed the door to my locker and turned around; I ran into something. I looked up, or someone... I frowned and pushed him out of the way. He grabbed my arm, "Shelby." he pleaded with a voice like silk. I jerked my arm away from him and continued down the hallway to my next period class. Finally, last hour.

After completing and turning in my algebra test, I doodled on a piece of paper to pass the time. I pondered on what we would use x equals y for in life. I huffed, so stupid. I picked up my paper and examined it to see what my hand had drawn on it. It was a heart with a ribbon wrapped around it. The ribbon was worn and old. The heart also had wings; one of which was an angel wing and the other was a dragon wing. My friend Alliysa stole the paper from my hand. "Hey!" I snapped at her. She smirked and folded it in half. "What are you...?" she began writing something on the front of it and then she handed it back to him. She turned to face me, smiled and then turned back to her test. Dammit. I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned around to look where it had come from. Him, Tanner. He winked at me before the teacher scolded him and he went back to working on his test.

Great, I thought as I threw my stuff into my locker and slammed the door shut. "Shelby?" I heard him beckon me from behind. I turned around and looked at him. He wore a plain black shirt, old jeans, and steel toe boots. He had brown hair that was cut at least a half of an inch short. His blue eyes seemed to sparkle as well as his smile. He walked up to me and wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer. He started to lean in for a kiss, but I backed away. He seemed surprised, "Didn't you want me to..?" I pushed him off of me, "Look, whatever was on that note, I didn't write it." His happiness faded, "Oh, right. Sorry I didn't mean to-" I stopped him "It's fine." I walked towards the double doors at the end of the hall. I heard his clobber feet racing to catch up with me. "Shelby! Hey!" I heard him call out to me. I stopped at the doors and turned around, "What do you want Tanner?" I snapped at him. He began to rub the back of his neck, "Do you maybe want to go...uh, fishing with me, tomorrow?" he stuttered. God yes I wanted to go fishing, but Tanner had a reputation with that question. "What so you can go down on me by the river? Not happening." I pushed the doors open and the outside light bombarded my vision. "What are you talking about?" he asked surprisedly. "Word gets around quick buster." I told him waving my hand in his face. He grabbed my fingers, "Hey that wasn't me! If anything she made the move!" I whipped around to stare him down. I nodded, "Oh, yah, so am I supposed to go down on YOU?" He backed off and I kept walking down the sidewalk to the parking lot. "Shelby!" he shouted after me, slapping his hands down by his sides.