Niall has taken a spot on the piano bench while Harry occupies the plush couch. Zayn continues to stand.

“Unless someone comes up and says they saw Louis drive to the party, we can probably get away with saying that he dropped the car off here, like you did with yours,” Niall suggests and Zayn crosses his arms, soaking up every word anyone throws out. 

“They are going to look at the security cameras—“

“It was dark, though—“

“Not the ones in the parking garage. They are going to see all of us going in.”

I feel lightheaded and I decide to head into the kitchen. To my dismay, I can still hear them loud and clear in here. 

“Mrs. Tomlinson basically appointed Liam to the case so his chief is most likely going to let him handle it… I’ll speak with him… He won’t let that tape get out… Not before consulting us,” Zayn speaks. 

“What happened to not letting Payne do our dirty work anymore?” It is Harry who says this. 

“WE DON’T HAVE A CHOICE!” 

Zayn’s reply is harsh and sounds like he is beyond angry. I don’t know how anyone could be in front of Zayn and hear him yell without crying. 

I clutch the edge of the kitchen sink as another wave of nausea passes over me. 

“What do we say to Officer Payne, then?” Niall inquires, followed by the few idle taps of the piano keys. 

He stops after three notes. 

“You don’t have to worry about it… I’ll take care it.” Zayn seemed to have regained his previous posture and his tone was level again, despite him sounding just a bit strained. “I’ll wait until he comes up to my office, though…We shouldn’t have to worry about it just yet.”

“What makes you think Officer Payne is going to help us?”

Harry chuckles, “Malik practically put him through school with the money his dad gave him on the weekends…. He practically owns him…. And all that trouble with the gambling problem Zayn and I used to have? Do you remember me telling you about that? Well, when Liam became an officer he helped us get out of those court dates. Liam’s a good man.”

“Not because he broke the law by helping us but because he’s loyal,” Zayn pipes in. 

Right, I said to myself, loyal only because he feels like he owes you.

“We’re most likely going to get questioned from the police… Anyone at that party should be able to say they saw all of us together… What are we going to do for an alibi? We’re going to have to lie.”

“Easy. He said he was leaving and took off. Mia and I went home and so did you and Niall.”