Chapter 11

gif on the side of Mia

Chapter 11:

The elevator door dinged, and it echoed off the walls, making me shift slightly out of nervousness. It wasn't until I actually got out onto the floor that my heart started racing.

Brendon had been nice enough to drop me off here, after I told him what Aimee said to me. Mr. Malik was in a car crash and was currently being rushed to the nearest hospital there in New York. She needed to get in touch with Zayn immediately, but she couldn't find him. Something gave me the feeling that he already knew and just didn't want to talk to anyone. For some reason I felt like I was obligated to go and find him, but seeing as I have no idea where he hangs out, I figured the office was a good place to start.

Being Aimee Blue's assistant does have it's perks. I have a special key so I can enter from the back when it's after hours.

My converse (which were annoyingly new because my last ones decided to retire) were still stiff, resulting in tapping sounds being made against the tiled ground, and that didn't help at all against the creepy effect I was getting from my pitch black surroundings. Finally resorting to my flashlight app on my phone, I managed to make my way around obstacles. My heart jumped at every foreign sound l, and I couldn't understand why I was suddenly so afraid of the dark. Because your in an abandoned office building on the top of floor at midnight, you idiot.

Breathing a sigh of relief, I was beyond happy to see light peeking from underneath the door leading to Mr. Malik's office.

I hesitated before knocking on the door. I heard something move inside, but nobody answered. After taking a moment to contemplate what to do, I tried the handle, and was surprised to find it unlocked. Twisting the knob, I opened the door slowly, peeking inside.

It was dark except for a single beam of light coming from the corner of the room, thanks to a small lamp.

It took me only a second to find who I was looking for, however.

"Zayn?" I squeaked, spotting his silhouette, his back facing me as he peered out the window, looking at the glowing lights of the city below him. "Everyone is looking for you," I continued, after realizing he wasn't going to say anything. "Your... Your dad, he-"

"Is currently in the hospital, suffering from head trauma, a concussion, and is in a coma... Or so I have been told," he says, his deep voice cutting me off with surprise.

I gulp and slowly edge my way into the room. Aimee didn't say anything about a coma. I guess they got him to that hospital already..

"Are you ok?" I ask softly.

"Why are you here?" Zayn snaps, causing me to jump. "Is it because Aimee told you to find me, or because you actually care?"

"Both."

Zayn slowly turns around to face me. There was just enough light so I could make out his features.

"I knocked but you didn't answer, why?" I ask bravely, trying to stand my ground.

"Thought you were someone else," he replies simply, making me confused.

"Who?"

"No one you should be worried about, love."

"No one has the key but you, me, your dad, and Aimee," I state, thinking out loud.

Zayn let's out a deep laugh, "People are capable of finding other ways inside. Never take that for granted."

He makes his way towards the liquor bottles and I use this time to creep towards the desk. I noticed earlier that there were papers all over it, and I was curious to see what Zayn was up too.

As soon as his back was turned, I glanced at the papers, and soon noticed that they were newspaper articles. Squinting through the harsh lighting, I tried to see the date on which it was published, and was utterly shocked to see it being the same date as some of the missing entries for the companies taxes. What the hell was this boy up to?

Reaching out, I tried to grab one and slip it into my jacket but I was startled by a rough grip. "How many times do I have to tell you not to stick your nose into places it doesn't belong," Zayn growled.

"Let go of me."

"Not until I can learn to trust you."

"Well too bad cause your stuck with me until Aimee comes back," I hiss.

And then it hit me... I was all he had.

He finally lets go of my wrist and makes his way back to the window, and I follow him.

"Leave, Mia," he barks, and I can tell that I've made him angry.

"No. You.. You need me," I stutter, trying to figure out why Zayn was so calm despite the fact that his dad was in the hospital.

Zayn doesn't stir and I slowly shift towards him, before getting close enough to throw my arms around him, hugging him tight. "You need me," I repeated. Whether he liked it or not, I was all he had, and I don't give a crap if he didn't want my help, or my company, but I came all the way over here in the middle of the night to help him, and that's sure as hell what I am going to do.

"Zayn, please," I pleaded, wanting him to return the hug.

I feel him sigh, as his arms slowly snake around my waist, sending tingled down my body. My tee shirt had somehow ridden up a bit, exposing a few centimeters of the area right above my jeans. I was shocked to find Zayn's warm fingers graze over my skin, and slightly hovering before he tugged my shirt down, and broke the hug.

He sat down in the chair, and I staggered back, watching him scoop up the papers on his father's desk, and put them into a small pile next to the computer.

His solemn expression didnt change.

"What's going to happen to the company?" I whispered, not really meaning for anyone to hear it. Aimee couldn't run the business, she could hold off things, or work things out, but she couldn't fully run the business. What was going to happens to Malik Enterprises? Who knows how long Mr. Malik was going to be out for? I can't imagine how many points the stock market is going to drop.

Zayn clears his throat, interrupting my thoughts. "Well, it looks like it's up to me."