Chapter 42

gif of Zayn

Chapter 42_

"Oh my god," I breathed, realization hitting me like a ton of bricks.

"What is it?" Zayn's voice said behind me. 

I held the paper in my hand, quoting the small snippet from the headline that was included, "The bank business is now flourishing more than ever, but with a twist. These banks don't actually hold any money, yet are worth more than five put together."

"I don't get it, Mia, what are you saying?" Zayn question, walking beside me. 

I hurried to open up the newspaper so I could get to the article, and I started scanning through it. "A change is coming," I quoted, murmuring the words the irishman spoke that dark night. "Zayn, Niall, the one from that bar, he said that a 'change was coming', do you think Bolton has anything to do with this?" I asked him. The idea was far fetched but it couldn't have been a coincidence that Niall spoke these exact words. 

Zayn grabbed the newspaper from me and scanned the article himself, before replying to my question. "I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised."

"Maybe Bolton bought or is funding one of these banks... But what does that have to do with anything?" I asked, trying to figure out what all of this meant.

"I'm not sure... But we're going to find out. Come on," he said, setting down the paper and grabbing my hand again, this time walking a bit more hurried as we flew through the crowd and back to the hotel. 

***

"Grab your computer," Zayn ordered as soon as we walked in, but I was already on it.

Setting it on the small table, I didn't bother to sit before I clicked on a search engine. "If we go to the online version of the newspaper, the article should be there, and hopefully include links or at least a name of one of these banks. From there, we should be able to see who the contributors are, and see if Bolton was one of them, unless they wanted it on private, which might be the case, but here's to hoping it's not," I sighed.

I searched and did every possibility I could think of to try and see if Bolton was listed as a contributor or a company that was holding these banks under it's 'wings' as leverage, but I couldn't find anything, making me believe that they must be put on private. Sure, there was no actual evidence that Bolton was apart of this, but I could feel it in my gut that we had a lead. 

"Damn it," Zayn cursed, kicking a chair. 

"What I don't understand, is why they would even want to be apart of something like this? There has to be a reason," I stated, still trying to see how all this worked. "How could a bank with no money even be worth anything?"

"It's probably digital," Zayn replied, walking over to the fridge and pouring himself a cup of expensive gin that was delivered to us sometime yesterday. 

"Digital money?"

"No, real money, just kept track of digitally. Like your money for stocks and things like that, your account and your money is kept on a computer, but when you withdraw it, you get it from another bank."

"What's the difference? Why would someone prefer that bank over another one."

"It's easier to keep track of if everyone's information is kept on one computer, and can be accessed from smaller computers. Plus, it's somehow cheaper or something. You can also transfer money easier, if you are paying a bill or something. Of course there are downsides to doing your banking digitally, but people do it anyway."

"Weird."

The next few minutes were absolute silence, both of our minds working overtime to try and see if this piece fit anywhere in the puzzle that was horribly muddled. 

"How do the devices fit into all of this? Do you think Carlisle was making them for himself, or for someone else."

"I'm not sure, he didn't say anything to me."

"Ask Aimee if she found them ready to go," I said, suddenly sparking up an idea.

"Why?"

"If they were ready, and all they had to do was be put in boxes, then that means that he was making them for someone."

"What if he was keeping them for himself, though? And was sending them to London."

I shook my head, "No. He would have had them made there instead of having them made here. It's easier to transport something by truck or over land, instead of having to go through customs once you reach a border."

"Yea, but who was he making them for? My dad made sure Bolton didn't get them, he refused to go on with the deal."

"Then there is someone else involved."