Chapter 9

gif on the side o Mia

Chapter -9-

I returned to work the next morning, and saw the pile of paperwork that Aimee had conveniently dropped off on my desk, along with a note that said I had access to her files, accompanied with her signature. 

 I immediately got to work on the taxes. When I got out of college, I wanted to work for a firm who tried to help middle class people out. Coming from a middle class family myself, I knew just how hard it was to make ends meet, and when the government gave no mercy, it just wasn't right. I wanted to try get them the cheapest taxes, and the biggest reductions, along with the biggest bonuses. I knew countless amounts of people who were behind on their state taxes, and what's weird, is that the government punishes these people if they can't pay them, by charging them even more... It's stupid. 

As usual, things never go your way, I needed money to pay for my college debt, so when my mom mentioned that someone from work said that the assistant to Mr. Malik needed her own assistant, I contemplated before applying for the job. It's the exact opposite of what I wanted to do, so everyone was shocked, especially my parents. Malik Enterprises buys out little businesses, to make room for their ever growing empire. They own everything from car dealerships  to tea farms, and they stopped at nothing.

 My eyes glided down the list swiftly, my mind working fast. None of the records made any sense to me, no doubt for security reasons, I don't think they wanted any outside people to get ahold of these papers and find out where the money was going, but there were numbers, which I understood completely, so I kept on working. Suddenly I noticed something odd; several dates were missing. It would say the entry number, but nothing was printed next to it. I called Aimee out of curiosity, but of course she didn't answer, so I left a brief message about the situation, and then asked her to get back to me as soon as possible. 

Getting up, I walked to the opposite end of the room, and started rummaging through Aimee's files to see if I could find some more details about the missing entries. Maybe the previous assistant forget to print them out or something. Slowly by slowly, each file drawer was eliminated, the dates getting closer and closer to the missing ones on the paper, until I reached the next file drawer, which I was positive to be the correct one, except it was locked. I frowned, tugging on it, hoping it was just jammed but it refused to budge. 

"Mia," a voice says behind me, startling me so I whip around. I am relieved to see it was Camille. Sadly, she didn't look too happy. "What are you doing?" she questions.

"There are some missing entries for the tax thing, and I was just trying to look up their file... I think it's in this drawer but it won't budge," I explain, tugging on the handle again for emphasis. 

"Your not supposed to be looking through that drawer."

"No, I have permission," I state, "Aimee left me a note... Is everything ok?" I ask, noticing her going pale. 

"Did she say why you were doing the taxes?" Camille asks. 

"Mr. Malik insisted... I don't understand what's the big deal it's just taxes—"

"Mr. Malik insisted this?" asks Camille, her eyes wide. Out of the corner of my eye I see her touching a key attached to her belt. That key in particular was a lot smaller than the rest on her key ring, and I made a mental note of what it looked like. Camille isn't telling me something, and I had a feeling that was the key. 

"Have you called Aimee about this?" she questions.

"Yes, but she didn't answer," I reply, stepping away from the drawers.