Chapter 65

gif of Zayn

Chapter 65_

"What are you thinking about?" I inquired, noticing Zayn's state of concentration on something just over my shoulder. He had a stern but blank look in his eye as we moved across the dance floor. It didn't take a genius to figure out his mind was elsewhere. And it also didn't take a genius to know that it had to do with the conversation we had just left merely 20 minutes ago.

While Niall continued to raid the snack tables, I figured Louis went back to his whores at the front desk, and Harry slipped away while Zayn asked me to dance, probably hoping that if he looked occupied no more people would come and bother him.

"Huh?" I said softly, peering up at him as I restated my question without actually repeating myself. Because of my height I could only see the sharp chiseled edge of his jaw and his eyelashes that peeked out from behind his cheeks-from my point of view-.

His movement was barely noticeable, but he shook it lightly and took in his bottom lip, biting in harshly before releasing it as his attention remained focused on something in the distance.

The heat of the people and the smell of champagne had begun to settle and pretty soon people, in a slight tipsy state, were crowding in closer together, making me press closer against Zayn's body.

I also noticed that the room seemed louder.

Zayn's long arms rested behind my waist and my arms were positioned on his body as well as we swayed gently to the hum of the music.

"I'm just... Just thinking," he replied.

Finally he looked down, and gave me a small smile which made my heart melt in his embrace. He returned to his previous state and I pressed my head against his chest as we continued to dance.

As the song went on, I felt his light grip on me slowly start to constrict, but he still remained gentle.

There were no words to describe how amazing it felt to be in his arms.

In the brief minute I had my eyes closed, allowing myself to absorb everything, I had managed to completely forget about everything. Forget that Zayn was my boss, I was his assistant, and we were at a gala where our status of relationship wouldn't be appropriate.

When I opened them sadly I had to return to reality. Literally.

I was staring straight into the eyes of some random girl in her early 40's who was dancing with her husband. Or at least I'm guessing... She had a ring on her finger.

As I looked around I noticed other people had seemed to taken an interest to Zayn and I dancing.

I began to feel very uncomfortable, wondering why I was such a person of interest all of the sudden.

It then hit me, and I never have felt more stupid in my life.