Chapter 20

gif of Zayn

Chapter 20

I waited awkwardly for Zayn to return, listening to the sound of Charles snacking and drinking his coffee besides me as he read the paper by the fireplace. 

I looked at him in disbelief, trying to recall whenever I had seen or heard a butler relax, especially when his boss is in the house. "You seem quite... At home here," I stated, laughing lightly. 

Charles looked up from the morning paper, his piercing blue eyes twinkling behind his glasses as a grin spread across his face. He folded the paper in half and set it besides him. "This is my home. Been here since Mr. Carlisle was a child, and I plan to stay until I eventually pass away or am replaced."

I blinked, getting interested. I slid closer to the chair he was sitting in, my hands running over the smoothness of the couch that was underneath me. "So you've been here for two generations... You must know a lot.. You must... See things.. Or hear things."

Charles smiled again, making me gulp as I stayed quiet, waiting for his answer. "The Malik's don't pay any attention to me unless I'm being called upon. I'm practically another piece of furniture."

"So you do know a lot," I confirmed. Charles didn't reply, but went to grab his paper but I stopped him, wanting to continue our conversation. "Are you scared of them? The Malik's?" I asked, remembering how he flinched when Zayn spoke to him.

Charles stopped fiddling with his fingers, and turned to look straight into my eyes. My heart started beating faster and I suddenly felt the urge to leave this house and never return. "The Malik household is quite complicated, miss. There isn't necessarily a reason to be scared of them, but more so... Frightened of what they are capable of. But whatever you do, you cannot make anyone upset,  bad things always follow shortly after."

For some reason that last bit came off as a warning to me. Was he telling me I shouldn't make Zayn angry? Or just a Malik in particular. I've heard and sometimes seen Carlisle's rage from afar, but never up close. And Camille... Whenever she sees Zayn it's like she's seen a ghost... Not a young boy. 

"Yet you stayed all these years," I spoke up. "You sacrificed so much for this family. You practically gave up your life... Having a wife and kids. Why?"

"Love. Isn't that the usual reason? There is something about the family that makes you love them... Love them so much that you can't bare to leave... It would hurt too much."

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion at his words, but he merely laughed. "Don't worry about it, dear. You'll feel it soon enough."

His eyes looked over my shoulder, indicating that someone had joined us. I turned my head around, and saw Zayn standing at the archway. He looked unusually different. In his suit's place, he wore some jeans, a tee shirt, and an expensive looking leather jacket. His hair was messier than usual as well, making him look extremely desireable. I wondered just how many women come and go in this house. No doubt plenty.

"Let's go."

***

The entire car ride had been silent except for the occasional directions I gave to show him the way to The Brew. He pulled into the car lot, and neatly parked into a stall. To my surprise, I spotted Brendon sitting at a table located outside of the actual coffee and tea shop. Brendon preferred sitting inside rather than being seated outside. Especially when the weather was yucky like today. 

I got out of the car and waved at him. 

"You didn't tell me I was bringing you to go meet your boyfriend," Zayn mumbled under his breath, his tone hard as he too, got out of the car.