Chapter SEVENTY FOUR

Yooooooooooooooo

"Merry Christmas, Lucas." His mother kissed his forehead, while he blinked in his sleep, sprawled out on his bed. The cold had really started to bother everyone, and they had to dig out puffy clothes and socks. Children stayed outside most of the time, munching on candies and having snow fights.

The city was lit 24/7, and every building had a little, glowing Christmas tree set up in its entrance, most of the gift shops open and grown ups walking in and out of it with bags of purchases.

"Merry Christmas." He groaned, turning onto his back and looking up at his mother.

"Get ready, we're having breakfast together. Your brother is home." She smiled at her younger son, and left the bedroom. His gaze followed her move, until she was out of sight.

He rolled himself into the blankets and fished out his phone from the side table, which clearly read, '11:25 am' yet, he refused to walk out of the house. It's not that he sleeps in for that long, he's usually up at 7am but last night, he couldn't sleep well and early.

Lucas bit his lips.

Today was the day he'll hangout with his dad. More like, he's gonna ask Lucas to never ever even spare a glance at Claire, but only study so that he could get into the business his father owned.

He was scared. Lucas was a scared of stepping into that field, run a billion dollar company, hold so much power in his fingertips and so much pressure to be the greatest of them all. Then again, there was Wesley who could take over the business after his father retires, so why does he have to go through the stress?

But for now.. should he call Claire?

He wanted to wish her so badly.

So he did call her.

One ring. Two, three, four-

"..."

"C-Claire?" He said, gulping, when she didn't respond the way he wanted her to.

"..yeah?"

"I.. uh.."

Why was he delaying it so much? All he had to do was wish her a good Christmas, and the words were on the top of his tongue, but he couldn't make it.

"Lucas.. got anything to say? Say it. I'm busy." She said, her voice ever so soft, but still cold.

He squeezed his eyes shut, because dammit, she was busy and he was interrupting her in some matter he didn't know about. It was probably important, and Claire didn't seem pleased with the way he wasn't talking, so he had one last option; cutting the call.

Lucas pushed the phone as far away from him as possible and got out of the bed.

He had one job.

****

"I want you to get ready, Lucas." His dad informed him, while he tightened his tie around his neck the right way.

His dad was a fan of dressing up formal, every freaking time, and it kinda made Lucas feel uncomfortable as people instantly knew who they were looking at. And that's the worst part, when they start whispering to themselves and never failing to mention, "The Clark,".

Anyways, Lucas must have been used to this, because all he cared about today was the art store they were going to visit and the ice cream. So he quickly got dressed, walking past Wesley in the meantime.

"Hey hey hey, where are you going?" His brother asked, resining his eyebrows.

Something about Wesley? Girls swooned all over him, his perfectly shaped eyebrows, all thanks to their beautiful parents.

"Dads buying me art." He grinned, his eyes sparkling and so bright that his brother had to squint through it.

"I bought you enough last time." He tilted his head.

"I know. But dad took them away from me, because he thought I wasn't studying-"

"What a waste of money." The older rolled his eyes. "They were extremely expensive."

"I know." The younger giggled.

"Anyways, have fun, 'coz I'm sure you'll regret growing up."

Lucas just sighed at his brothers words and walked away, perfectly dressed up and presentable. He was wearing a dark navy blue jacket which Claire loved and pale jeans which went well with the jacket and the sweater vest. He quickly got to the car where his dad was already sitting, and got in, not after slipping his feet into the boots.. which also were Claire's favourite.

He didn't remember her mentioning it, but she used to stare at him as if he was the last piece of meat every time he wore them.

His dad finally pulled out of the sideway.

"Where are we going first, dad?" He asked, excited on his own. He never thought he'd have a chance to do this with his father ever again.

"Ice cream." He chuckled while responding.

"Cool."

A few minutes in, and the road leading to that ice cream shop that he and Claire went to popped up, and sparked a few thoughts in him. And his little excitement died.

"Are you ready for a commitment?"

"Lucas, get out of the car, boy!" His dad knocked on his window, bringing him out of his thoughts which had his throat dry and he never really realised that they had arrived already and parked too. He just looked down and nodded, getting out.

The moment he stepped out, he and his dad began walking into the shop. The chiming if the door promoted a few customers to look up at them.

The exact same place, the exact same table right in the corner of the shop, where they took their seat. His heart was beating so loudly, so anxiously.

He remembered every second of that date that lasted no longer than an hour, every move that she made, and every time her eyes met his and her lips curling into a smirk.

Lucas desperately wanted to enjoy the ice cream, but he couldn't stop his thoughts regarding her.

"So, how's studies going on?" His dad asked, his side of the table empty as he decided not to eat any but only treat his son.

"..they're going good." He replied mindlessly.

"And? Did you apply for college?"

"Yes." Lucas answered honestly, because he did apply for few. Only if he knew what college Claire would go to, he would try joining there too.

"What did you apply for?"

He went silent, because he didn't know lying and he couldn't tell his dad the truth.

"Arts," he replied never the less and placed his spoon down.

"...arts?" His dad surprisingly laughed, "Nice humour, son."

"..dad.."

"Change it. It's business or I'll have have you study with your brother in Texas." His dad shook his head at him.

"..okay." He nodded.