chapter FIFTY FOUR

A/n sorry this chapter is badly written, so please don't mind ♥

Unknown: hey babe...|
Unknown: hey ba|
Unknown: h|

Unknown: hey Lucas|
Unknown: hey Lu|
Unknown: hey |

Unknown: hey

Lucas: hi?

Unknown: looking pretty today too

Lucas' throat suddenly went dry, and he looked up from his phone in the library, scanning students who were all pretty much on their phones.

He felt paranoid now and he visibly shrunk in his seat

Looking at that, Claire chuckled to herself and hid behind the shelves of books again

Lucas: excuse me? May I know your name?

Unknown: does anybody else call you pretty other than me?

Lucas furrowed his eyebrows. Definitely the one and only.

Lucas: Claire..?

Claire chuckled harder.

Unknown: right

He sighed.

Lucas: how did you get my number?

He also changed her contact name. He decided at first that "Cooper" would sound good. But then he shook his head to himself and thought for a moment. "claireeee"? "Claire"? "Anxiety"? "Don't answer"? "Choke"?

"Claire Cooper" sounded like a better option incase she happened to go through his contacts in the future.

Claire Cooper: bullied Connor

Lucas: WHAT IS HE OKAY? whAT DID U DO

Claire Cooper: sounds like u yelling at me

Lucas: oh! No, I swear I didn't yell it's just caps

Claire: uh huh I know

Lucas: is he okay?

Claire: chill I was kidding he kinda shoved your number to my face

Lucas: he did wHAT NOW

Claire: why? Does it sound that bad?

Lucas: no I just ...

Claire Cooper: it's ok lol

Claire smiled.

She walked out and took a seat next to the boy, who froze in his spot. Studying, now, was a long forgotten subject for either of them.

Didn't seem appealing to Lucas because he had something to distract him everytime he tried studying: Claire. Like that one time she showed up out of nowhere with a finger sized stuffed puppy and shoved it into his hands.

That puppy yelped and made cute weird sounds which not only made him giggle, but resulted in Claire bleeding through her nose.

No wonder it didn't end well for him because three weeks later, he was done with writing the papers and content in his own way.

He stood at the door to the room where almost the whole school was gathered up to look at their grades. Pass or fail, everyone muttered to themselves more than minding their own fucking business.

He always scored straight A's. Though this time, Lucas felt uneasy about this whole thing because he knew.. he knew few papers didn't go well.

Should he check his grades? His palms were turning sweaty as he just stared at the pin board.

Meanwhile, he noticed few group of students stealing glaces at him and snickering. He did pass, didn't he?

He gulped and slowly slipped into the crowd.

He snuck himself forward and to the front of it to have a better look at the pin board. His eyes trailed down to where his name and grades were displayed.

His name used to be the first, every time, every year, every exam. It used to.

This time.. it went like this:

1) Nate Moore
2) some kid
3) Lucas Clark
4) some kid he didn't know
5) Connor Williams
6) unknown
7) unknown
8) Sean Wood
9) don't know
10) don't know

Lucas' heart beat sped up.

He had all A's except.. Chemistry. He had a B. But still managed to be on the 3rd place.

His breathing quickened, and eyes blurred. He was suddenly feeling dizzy, and body weak as if he had been drugged by heartbreak.

He stumbled out of the crowd, body trembling.

Lucas didn't care about the grades. He wasn't afraid of scoring low.. he was afraid of his.. dad.

The grades will soon be messaged to every parent, he can't even make an exception by lying.

His dad had trusted him with his studies. Lucas was going to fail him.

"Ah, there he is, the school's topper." Lucas heard the oh so familiar voice to make it a cherry on top for this incredible day. "Wait, the school's ex Topper."

Lucas' glistening dark grey-blue eyes looked at Nate with so much loath that he could feel the bile rising to his throat.

The varsity jacket never got old.

"Dude, who's the topper now?" Someone snickered and leaned against Nate with his arm on his shoulder.

"Let me guess.." Nate shoved Lucas' chest rather roughly. "Not Lucas? That's sad. It's me now, bitches."

Lucas bit his lips harder and looked anywhere but the school's jock.

Where was Claire when he needed her?

Oh right Claire ditched him because she didn't want to look at her results. She went out for a smoke with Adam and Hailey.

How stupid of Lucas to think that Claire will help him everytime just because she had done it like thrice before.

He was on his own, and he knew it.

"Let go of me, Moore." He tried, his voice breaking.

Lucas saw Sean from the corner of his eyes who slowly dropped his bag down, ready to fight Nate.

"Aw, you gonna plead and cry for me to let you go? Where's your girl, Lukey? Where's she to save your dignity?" He spat at Lucas.

The crowd that had gathered around them now, were laughing and recording the scene because they were simply jobless.

"Nate!" Sean yelled, prying him away from the poor crumbled boy. "Don't fucking touch him, you filthy asshole."

"Oh, look who's here. They're the cry babies of our school. Applause for their bravery!"

The crowd cheered, clapping as loudly as they could and laughed because, well, it was Nate and no one wanted to get on the bad side of his.

Lucas felt hot tears rising, his head hurting so much he had to hold the wall behind him for support.

Sean grimaced and picked up the bags on the floor and grabbed Lucas' arm.

"Let's get out of here."

So that's what they did.

(I can probably do a double update.)