chapter FIFTY FIVE

"Where do you wanna go?" Sean asked the boy who just picked on his sweater and walked beside Sean on the footpath.

"I don't know." He shrugged.

"You should really tell me where. I can walk you till your home."

Lucas' eyes widened and he shook his head frantically. "Anywhere but my home."

Sean thought for a moment and then nodded his head in approval to which Lucas let out a sigh of relief. "We'll go to mine then."

Lucas' emotions were mixed up and constantly pricking him from the inside. He didn't know why his heart was sinking, or why he bothered to even listen to Nate's words.

"Where do you live?" He managed to ask, thinking he could distract himself from all the feeling if he started a conversation.

"Ugh-- I.. I live on the other side of the city. Nothing to worry about though, I'll take you there safe." Sean shot a small uneasy smile to which Lucas quietly nodded.

"Who do you live with?"

Sean chuckled in response and looked away. "My family, of course."

"Oh. I might disturb them if you take me now--"

"No, they're at work anyway. I'm the only child."

Lucas bit his lips at that and shut his mouth.

He didn't know how long they walked for, but they reached to the distorted part of the city which made Lucas look around with big eyes.

Needless to say, Sean was very comfortable with this environment as if he had learnt a way to live through it.

There were puddles everywhere, all the houses were and backyards were unhygienic and a creepy feeling settled down in Lucas' stomach.

He wondered if Sean was safe to be with in the first place. What if Sean was gonna kidnap him and sell his body to some drug dealer to make money?

Lucas shivered at the thought.

He stole a glance at the other.

"If you're thinking that I'm going to murder you, then you're right." Sean chuckled. "Just kidding, we're going to my home."

Sean lead him to a small apartment, on the first floor and he followed discreetly, an unreadable expression on his face.

The older fished the keys out of his pockets and chucked it into the door knob and twisted it open.

"This.. Ain't something you're used to live in. It's just.. a small apartment, I hope you don't mind." Sean pursed his lips into a thin and watched Lucas nod.

Lucas stared in amusement, entering the very small place. It felt claustrophobic but he managed to find comfort here.

Except, it didn't look like three could live here comfortably. And didn't he say both his parents were working? Was it really hard to afford a little wider apartment for.. three?

"Do.. do you really live with your parents here?" He asked.

For a moment there, it looked like Sean hesitated.

"To be honest.." Sean started unsure. "I live alone. My family lives few minutes away. From minutes, you can say an hour or so. I just live here for the school."

All Lucas did was nod.

He called it.

But he didn't question further, just took a seat on a nearby chair and softly smiled at him.

"Coffee?"

"Sure."

Claire Cooper: where are you?

Claire Cooper: I can't find you anywhere

Claire Cooper: Lucas? I know you're reading my texts

Lucas gulped and shut his phone. He didn't wanna talk right now, be just wanted to be left alone and away from everyone. Especially, school and his home.

Sean walked in from the kitchen and passed a cup of coffee.

'woof!'

Lucas' eyes widened as big as saucers when he heard the loud woof and a fluffy dog followed Sean from the kitchen, wagging its tail.

"Damien, say hi to Lucas!" Sean cheered, kneeling down to pet Damien with a bright face.

The dog let out another woof at Lucas and snuggled to Sean.

After few minutes of goofing around, Sean sighed and sat down on the floor (because there was no other chair) and Lucas slid down to the floor too making him smile before getting all serious.

"Okay let's get to business." He spoke, his eyes darkening.

"Business?" Lucas quirked an eyebrow. Damien settled down on top of Sean and closed his eyes.

"Yeah. You're in misery right now, so it's the time for you to try drugs." Sean spoke with such seriousness that Lucas choked.

"W-what?"

"Just kidding. I'm talking about getting a revenge on that asshole."

Lucas took a deep breath. "What revenge?"

"I have a video that can ruin his reputation. We can post it on school's social media. Sound good?"

-----

The day came to an end with smiles, because Sean made him feel better. Even though he ignored all of Claire's messages. He almost blocked Claire of how much she spammed him.

All she did was ask him where he was. It annoyed Lucas a lot so he instead switched his phone off.

So Sean ended up walking him to his home and almost died when he saw the mansion Lucas apparently lived in. He said Lucas was "loaded" and that he would have never invited him over with a laughter Lucas had never heard.

It's weird that Lucas had never heard Sean laugh just like Claire never laughed. Adam too and Hailey sometimes, when she's with Claire and Adam.

Lucas walked into the house holding his breath because he knew the grades would have reached his parents.

A step forward and he was startled by someone grabbing his coat.

"Sir, let me wash your jacket, it's the laundry day."

Lucas nodded, his body relaxing.

"Where's everyone?"

"Oh I don't know, sir. I apologize."

"Oh it's fine."

Lucas walked up the stairs to his room, and opened the door.

And there he was. His dad, looking at his watch and patiently waiting for Lucas to arrive.

He looked up, and his expression changed.

"Finally." His dad spoke, a tone Lucas couldn't quite figure out.

This was what he had feared about.

..
.
.
.
.
.

Ssup