Chapter SeventyOne

Start from the beginning

He took a step closer to her, letting the files drop to the ground, paper flying about, his feet making small indents in a the mat below. "Aren't you going to ask me what I said? When Jemma told me...what she told me?"

Asia sighed, shaking her head looking down at her feet. She didn't want to have this conversation, not now, not ever. She didn't need to hear how he chose Jemma over her. And letting herself hope he had said anything was was foolish. "I don't need to know," she said finally, crossing her arms over the black sports bra she as wearing.

"Ask me," he said quietly, taking another step forward, then another, until he was almost an arms length away. "Asia, I want you to ask me."

"Why would I do that?" She asked, throwing her arms up in the air, exasperated. "I don't need to hear about it, don't you get that? I understand. I get it. Jemma is Jemma. I get it! It's why we haven't slept in the same bed in a week. I don't need to hear you say it to understand!"

He stared at her for a moment, watching her chest lift and fall rapidly, the breaths coming quickly, and he knew she was nearing the point of tears. He hated that, that certainly was far from what he wanted. He stepped forward again, and she looked down, away from him. Delicately, he reached out with both hands, cupping either side of her cheek softly and turning her to face him. "Because if you ask, I can tell you," he paused for a moment, looking into her grey eyes, the shine in them ever apparent, "I can tell you that I told her it doesn't matter. That I was in love with someone else. You, Asia, I'm in love with you. Always have been. Since the moment I met you, I couldn't get you out of my mind. Nothing anyone ever tells me could change that."

Nothing else needed to be said. As their lips met desperately, passionately, lovingly, all they could feel was each other, the heat of his touch to the coolness of hers. All they could think of was the possibilities, the future, the idea of living together, traveling together, maybe even growing old together. Because right now, they had absolutely everything they needed.

"Come to dinner. With me," He said suddenly, grabbing her hands between his. "I want to bring you out, on a proper date. Far from all of this. Far from Sheild, from all of this drama. Just you, and me, and...and dinner."

"Yes," Asia's reply was instant, laughing as tears of pure happiness fell down her cheeks as she squeezed his hands. "Yes, yes we can go to dinner."

For a blissful moment, it felt like everything might truly, finally be alright. And it was, up until the moment Jemma got swallowed whole by the alien stone sitting in their basement.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sky was so grey. Jemma looked up at it, squinting through the blowing sand as she stumbled down a hill in search of something. Food, water, a life source. The sky didn't give her much hope, gave her little sense of direction. There didn't seem to be a sun. There didn't seem to be much of anything, besides rocks and sand. But Jemma was no fool, she knew precisely how long she could last without food and water, and that time was quickly waning. Not to mention, was warm as it was during the day, it grew quite cold out in desert at night, and Jemma was growing tired of burying herself in the sand at night to stay warm.

At least now she knew why Shield had locked that stupid, bloody rock away for so long. Why it was so dangerous. Who knew how many countless others had made the unfortunate pilgrimage that she was making for herself now. Some, perhaps, by choice. Others, perhaps, by force. And then there were those like herself, by accident. She was certain there were many by accident. But if others had found a way here, they must have had a purpose, must have left something behind, and a way out. God, there had to be away. She begged and pleaded at the Universe for it. She held onto that face, that she knew there had to be a way out.

And, she kept hope that Leo Fitz, her best friend, would find a way in. If at all else failed, she knew this to be true. She knew, she always knew, that she could rely in the undeniable bond between the two of them, and that he would stop at nothing to see her home safe.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alrighty my lovely, lovely readers. You've done it! You've made it all the way through and out TWO WHOLE BOOKS of mine! And I absolutely adore you for it. Book three is on its way really soon, Oceans Away! I hope you look forward to it and love it just as much as you have given me love for these two. I love you all, more than I even have words for. The passion and inspiration you provide me with on a daily basis is unfathomable. I never in a million years thought my little love story would take off the way it has, and yet, here we are. Stay tuned, friends, because more is coming.

Always

xx
The Renegade