Chapter Thirtyone

Short little blurb but wanted to get this one out there! Implications of sex so if you're not about it, you can skip this chapter and it won't ruin anything :)

Asia stood in the shower, letting the hot water scorch her skin, feeling particularly shitty. She hadn't meant to snap at Leo, nor to storm off like that. The stress had just been building up, winding her tighter and tighter without any hope of release. Reaching up, she ran her fingers over the knots building in her shoulders and in her chest. The kneading on her muscles felt so good she almost let out a moan. The rippling release of tension over her body made her weak at the knees and she put a hand on the wall to keep herself up. Agents often went on for far too long without giving their bodies the releases they required to keep them healthy.

After a moment of relaxation, she stood back up, vowing she was going to find Leo after she was clean and in her comfortable clothes and apologize to him. He had been so good to her, so protective, he didn't deserve that attitude from her, even if it wasn't intentional. She would curl up beside him on the couch or in bed, head in his lap, and everything would be fine. She sighed, running her hands through her hair, dipping her face into the warmth of the water that cascaded upon her.

Suddenly, the glass door of her shower stall slid open. Throwing her hands over her bare breasts, she whirled to face the most unwelcome intruder, and was shocked to find Leo there, standing just as naked as she, warm mist swirling about him and his eyes containing a heat she had never seen from him before. His eyes trailed slowly down her body, then back to meet her gaze. She could feel every movement they made over her bare skin, and she blushed a shade of crimson as he took in her scars. She moved one of her hands to cover up some of the worst ones, the ones that made her feel like a patchwork quilt. Like she had been taken apart and put back together too many times to be a real person any more.

The first scar she had ever received, she was proud of. She thought it meant she was brave, that she was bold. And it reminded her she wasn't quite as invincible as she had once thought. But the more scars she collected, the less she liked them. It got to the point where she didn't ever really enjoy looking at her bare skin. It reminded her of darker times, of mistakes she had made. Of times her teammates had gotten hurt because of mistakes she had made, tasks she hadn't been able to accomplish. It reminded her of the times she had failed. She stepped backwards until she was pressed against the white tile walls of the shower, trying to hide herself in the steam, hide away her imperfections. Yes, they had spent nearly every moment together over the past few days, but that didn't mean he had seen her like this. Seen her so vulnerable, so bare. And Asia Monroe had always feared vulnerability, almost above all else.

Leo Fitz stepped forward into the shower, pulling the glass door shut behind him, thinking of the last time he had seen her in the shower. She had been covered in blood and wounds, barely conscious of where she was. He remembered washing her back gently, trying to make sure there was still a piece of her left, buried away under everything. Here she was again, hiding herself away, caused by her own personal torture now, not from that of another man. All he wanted to do was show her nothing between them had changed, that no matter what happened, he still cared deeply for her. No magic temple, or being dropped to the bottom of the ocean, or upset teammates was going to change that, ever.

And regardless of her scars, the way she clearly tried to hide them, he thought she was beautiful. Endlessly beautiful. The things she saw as flaws, as imperfections, he saw as the opposite. He saw her as perfect, imperfections and all. He stepped closer towards her again, softly pulling her hands away from her body, away from the scars she was trying to hide, and he kissed her fingertips softly, looking her in the eyes as he did so.

Asia's heart was practically beating out of her chest, the fluttering, buzzing nerves making her powers go haywire, a frozen mist starting to fill the air of the small bathroom, mingling with the steam of the shower and melting. The way he was looking at her, full of heat, and passion, and most importantly, full of love (a word the two still hadn't shared again), and his gaze made her feel warm and light. And it stirred something inside her she had never felt before. She tried to think of what it was, and as she pondered it came to her. Safe. She felt safe.

So when he pulled her close to him and pressed his lips to hers, she didn't hesitate. She kissed him back, wrapping her arms around him, running her hands over his bare back, feeling every piece of him, the ripple of his back muscles often hidden beneath large sweaters, the soft bumps of his spine, the goosebumps that chased over the pale flesh where her cold fingers danced. She wanted to know every part of him, recognize him simply by touch. She wanted the emotional connection she felt towards him to be just as strong in the physical realm.

Their kiss was hungry, like neither of them had felt this connection or comfort in years, if ever. If Asia thought about it, she would have supposed she hadn't. If she thought about it, she had loved many people, but never been in love until she met the clumsy scientist with a passion for good, and a passion for good food, who cared so deeply about his teammates he would lie to protect them, even from themselves. And she was, in love. Even if she was too afraid to say it again, she knew it was true. So when he turned the water off and scooped her up in his arms, carrying her to the bed, she didn't stop him.

————————————————————————————————————

Making love to Leo Fitz was everything she ever could have imagined. Of course, especially because of her field, Asia had slept with men before. Whether it was during her school years or for a mission, it had happened. She had plenty of sex, even if it had been a while. But with Leo, god, it was so different. It was so cliche, and she hated to think it, but it was as if they fit together like two puzzle pieces. She sighed, rolling on her side to look at him as he slept, softly, every now and then licking his lips in his sleep.

One of the biggest things for her was he had seen every one of her scars and didn't shy away from them. Boyfriends she had in her past liked to pretend they didn't exist. But not Leo. He wasn't afraid of her scars, of her darker past. He kissed every scar on her skin as if they were dotted lines of constellations, beautiful, linking her body together. She smiled to herself, shutting her own eyes and letting sleep take her over. The last thing she thought to herself before she passed out was that, perhaps, together they really could get through this.