Chapter ThirtyThree

Notes:

Rest in Peace to a true hero, Stan Lee. Thank you for creating the Marvel universe that we all know and love, that we love so much we want to expand on our own, with our own characters and dreams. Thank you, endlessly. Enjoy level two.

Chapter Text

Asia looked out the window, headphones in, as the frequencies on her tablet rotated over and over, as she searched for something. Anything. It could be an actual voice to a pattern in the static, Strike Team had used many methods of discrete communications in the past, so anything could be hidden within the white noise. She had been listening to the frequencies on her tablet for a few hours now, as they flew across the ocean towards Peru. She was about to give up hope when she heard a tiny, small, almost unnoticeable blip come through. Pausing the rotation of stations, Asia froze, listening intently for another sound, because she was absolutely certain she had heard something.

Yes, yes, there it was. It was mores code, but there were several minutes in between letters beeped out, but it was there. Waiting for her, this entire time. It took almost an hour for the entire thing to be decoded, but it was a phone number. Presumably, for her to call. She jotted those numbers down at tucked the scrap of paper into her back pocket. As soon as this mission was over, she would reach out to her old teammates. They were out there. She wasn't foolish. They had been searching for her. There was a sense of warmth in her heart that she hadn't felt for a while now. A sense of family, of belonging. Like everything actually was going to be alright. She stuck her forefinger into her back pocket, brushing it up against the paper once more, reminding herself this was real. This was no dream.

She looked out the window at the open sky, a smile from ear to ear.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later, when the Bus touched down, and after May and Coulson made a little trip out to visit their contact inside the Peruvian authorities, it became apparent why they were called here. Lady Sif, of Asgard, was back on Earth again, for an unknown reason, and she seemed to have lost her memory. Asia felt sad, looking at her. It wasn't pity, that wasn't the right feeling, but she was sad. Sad that someone so great had lost so much.

When Asia had entered the briefing room on the Bus, Sif was standing there, staring at a screen image of her and Coulson, brows furrowed as she tried so hard to remember the memory which had been wiped from her brain.

"Agent Monroe," Coulson instructed after they finished watching the viral footage of a fight between Sif and a large man, who, surprisingly, was holding his own against the Asgardian. "You will go with Agents Skye and Morse to speak with the witnesses, see if we can get any further information on who this guy is, or where he went. Fitz, Hunter, Mack, the three of you will go collect whatever forensics you can find on that pier." The pier had been the setting of the fight. Based off of the footage, it had appeared the Sif had cut the man, possibly. They needed to get to the bottom of who he was, how Sif's memory was missing, and why this man could hold his own against her to begin with. Asia wasn't upset with the assignment. Interviews would be easy enough to keep her cool during, no pun intended.

As Asia and Leo were leaving the briefing area, side by side, they froze, when Jemma approached agent Coulson. "Sir, the Science Division has loaded the team with a set of heavier suppression artillery for this mission. " She held her hands, crossed, in front of her waist, smiling proudly. Asia turned to Leo, a look of terror and concern in her eyes. Jemma was at it again. She wanted to destroy what had come out of that Tower. Little did she know, what had come out was two of her friends, changed, for better or for worse. Leo grabbed her hand and gave it a quick squeeze, before dropping it and stepping forward.