Chapter ThirtySix

"Hey," Asia called out, taking the spiral staircase down towards the Lab, where Jemma, Leo, and Skye were waiting. "What's up? Any news?" she landed on the cargo floor with a small thump, hands on her hips.

All of her friends turned to face her, Leo spinning in a rolling chair, Jemma looking up from some samples she was studying, and Skye sitting on a desk, legs swinging back and forth. Skye was the first to speak.

"They're on the way back, they got him," she explained. There was a familiar nervousness in her eyes that Asia recognized.

Asia smiled, "Oh great, then we can get out of here and head home," she stepped forward, leaning on one of the metal tables, looking over at her friends. "I think we could all use a good rest."

"Definitely," Leo pipped up. "I have to go prep the cell they're putting the Kree soldier in, but I'll be back in a bit. Or just find me upstairs. Whatever works," he shrugged, brushing past Asia, the contact sending electricity tingling up her spine.

"Same with me," Skye shrugged, "Gotta make sure our tech is ready to go, that the containment chamber is prepped just in case and whatever, want to come with?" She asked her friend, tapping on a tablet in her hands. "It won't take long but it'll pass the time."

"Yea, I can do that," Asia affirmed, smiling comfortingly at Skye. The two of them would get through this together. Everything would be fine.

As the two girls turned to leave, Jemma stood up and called out. "Um, Asia, may I borrow you for a moment?" The scientist called out, setting down the test tube she had been studying moments ago.

Asia nodded at Skye for her friend to go on ahead, and turned back to face Jemma, a small smile still on her lips. There had been so much...odd tension between the two recently, and Asia still had no idea why. It probably had something to do with Trip, and the loss she still felt for him. Asia understood that...if Leo died....she didn't even want to think about it. She could feel her body temperature starting to drop at just the idea, and she took a deep breath, pushing the thoughts away.

"What can I do for you?" She asked Jemma, leaning back against the metal table, feeling the cool contact against her palms.

"I just wanted to talk to you, explain myself," Jemma sighed, rubbing one of her hands on her wrist, avoiding eye contact with the brunette. "Everything has been so hectic lately and I know I've been...less than welcoming."

The smile slowly fell from Asia's face as her friend spoke. She could feel the hairs on the back of her neck start to rise, her fight or flight senses kicking in. Something seemed wrong. She didn't like this, and she didn't know where it was heading. "Oh it's fine," she attempted to say as casually as possible. "We've all been healing in our own ways. I don't fault you for it."

"Healing...yes," Jemma trailed off, her eyes glazing over momentarily, as if lost in a memory. "I don't know if I'll ever get over the loss of Trip. He was so important to me. I...I loved him. I really did. I never even got to tell him." Her head dropped and her shoulders were shaking, and Asia thought for a moment that Jemma might have been crying.

But then the redhead raised her eyes and looked at Asia. "That's why I needed to talk to you. I know you and Fitz...you've gotten close again. And I'm glad your friendship has mended. But that's why I need to say this. I know you care for him, I know you do. But I love him."

Her words hung heavily in the air. Asia felt as if she might puke for a moment, and then she laughed nervously. "Of course you do. You're best friends. We all love each other." She said, tugging at the sleeves of her sweater.

"No," Jemma shook her head. "You don't understand. Losing Trip...it made me realize. Life is far too short to not act upon ones feelingns. I love him. Not simply as friends, Asia. And I needed you to know, because I know you care for him too. And I don't want this to tear our friendship apart." She stared at Asia evenly, as if she couldn't even see the panic in Asia's eyes.