Chapter Twentythree

They said this space was cursed. The entrance to the underground city. Rumour had it was people would go in, and never come back. And news of this had everyone abuzz with what they might find down there.

"This area was built primarily in the 18th century," Jemma explained, as they walked down the dimly lit halls of the fort. It was cool inside, far cooler than it was outside in the sun. The brick walls kept moisture and shadow in, as well as a cool temperature. Asia couldn't imagine how cold it got here at night. And hopefully they wouldn't have to find out. "Although, this particular tower," Jemma continued, as they entered the tower where the entrance was located, "Was built in the year 1634. It is well known for being incredibly haunted, TV shows have even filmed episodes here, to see if they can catch ghosts."

"And just think," Coulson pipped in, "They had something far more real and interesting beneath their feet, and didn't even know." They all stopped in a small, rectangular room and began to set up shop. The cavern was right below their feet now. Mack made quick work of setting up a high tech saw which would cut right through the floor, giving them entrance.

As he cut away, suddenly a large square chunk of the floor fell away, deep, deep into a pit of black. Asia stepped forward and looked down at...nothing. There was nothing to see. But...she couldn't look away. She felt as if she could hear...something? Maybe it was just the wind, but the brunette swore she could hear whispers coming from within the cave. She could literally hear them. Soft hushed tones calling out..something. What were they saying? Who were they calling to? Asia leaned closer, trying to get a better idea of what was coming from down there.

"Agent Monroe," Coulson snapped, trying to get her attention. The agent was staring down the tunnel like she had just seen God. And she was leaning in, closer, to the point where he thought she might tip forward and spill right in. "Agent Monroe!" He said again, this time louder, as he stepped forward and grabbed her arm, yanking him backwards. He of all people understood just how captivating this mystery could be. But he wasn't about to let one of his best agents fall headfirst into the cavern. Her eyes snapped up to him, wide, panicked. "What were you looking at?" He asked, slowly, calmly, as he let her straighten herself and back away from the hole.

"I...I wasn't looking," She replied, quietly, sliding to lean against the wall beside Leo and his dwarf case. "I was listening...I thought...it sounds stupid. I thought I heard something. It was probably just the wind." She shrugged sheepishly, not wanting to sound like she had completely lost her mind. She hadn't, she was sure she hadn't, but she was damn sure she had heard something down there. Leo gave her an odd look, hoping she was okay. He knew getting back to normal was difficult to her, and he wasn't about to judge for her hearing things that might not be there. They had all gone through their own traumas, and dealt with them in their own ways.

"So uh," Mack said, slightly nervous, "What was that story about the ghosts again?" Mack believed in them, he knew that much. And what with the electronics down here being funky and flickering, and now an agent hearing voices? He wasn't about to play around.

"Right, yes," Jemma said, opening up a small suitcase as she told the tale. "They say that several guards went missing at night while in this tower. We don't really know who 'they' are, but they say it an awful lot around here. And these guards, allegedly, were never seen or heard from again. It's all pretty funny, if you think about it. Now they think this tower is cursed."

"About as funny as an alien city underneath the earth," Mack muttered back sarcastically. He was not. a . fan. of this situation. The whole thing was giving him the heebie jeebies, not that he was about to let it show.

Leo grinned, "What Mack, em, you afraid of ghosts now?" He couldn't help but chuckle at the idea of that big hulk of a man being afraid of a ghost.