Chapter FourtyFour

Unfortunately, time waits for no mouse. And the same applies to Agents of Shield. Asia and Leo had been lucky enough to indulge in that one evening of peace, one evening of doing nothing but staying wrapped in one another's arms.

The next day, Asia was set on telling Coulson. She and Leo together would approach him, and they would sign whatever they needed to sign. Disclose whatever they needed to disclose. Leo had even said he would take leave, if that's what it had come down to.

But first, they were stopping in the Lab. Jemma was supposed to do a video call with Skye that morning, and Asia wasn't going to miss a moment of seeing her friend. She needed to see for herself that she was okay. That she wasn't in a prison. That she wasn't hurt. Even if it meant bracing the awkwardness of Jemma and their situation.

And Jemma didn't even know the news yet. She was about to find out Leo Fitz was off the market. Asia wasn't entirely sure on how well that news would take. She wasn't planning on staying around to find out. Talk to Skye. Go tell Coulson. Easy breezy.

Too bad that was not what reality had in store.

As the two walked down the brick halls, Leo's watch beeped. "Erm, Coulson wants me to research something, ASAP," he frowned, looking over at Asia, who was reading a message on her Shield Issue phone.

"Yea..." she trailed off, reading the message she had just received from the Director. Guard the Lab. Keep it on lockdown. Keep everyone inside safe. "I've got something, too. Let's just get to the Lab quick so you can get to work, yea?" She plastered a grin on her face, best not to let anyone worry after all.

But in the back of her mind, she was already trying to put together the pieces. She had a feeling whatever Leo was about to look into would give her the final hint. The final clue. She would know exactly what they were up against. The apprehension made the hairs on the back of her neck stand up.

When they entered the Lab, Asia saw Skye's face lighting up Jemma's computer and she practically raced over, peering over Jemma's shoulder, a big smile on her face. "Skye!" She exhaled in relief when she saw her friend was in a quaint little cabin, sitting on a plaid couch in a sweater and leggings.

"Asia!" Skye's face lit up when she saw her. "You look so good! How are you? How is everything?" She gushed out questions, wanting to reach through the screen and hug her. The two young women had been through so much together. Their bond was forged in fire and unbreakable.

"I'm good! Things are good! There's so much I want to tell you, when you're back," Asia replied, her body visibly relaxing at the sound of her friend's voice. Even Jemma couldn't help but smile at the bond between the two. It was cute.

"I don't know when that'll be, but I'm looking forward to it," Skye replied, her smile faltering a little. Coulson hadn't told her how long she would be staying. How long she would be kept out there, in the middle of nowhere.

Asia pressed her hand to the screen, and Skye did the same. Even though they were thousands of miles apart, Asia could swear she actually felt their palms touch. "Soon," she nodded convincingly. "I'll let you and Jemma get back to it, though," she looked down at the red haired scientist and smiled. "Thanks for letting me commandeer your call." She meant it. She was trying to repair the rift. Baby steps.

She stepped back, giving Skye a tiny wave, walking backwards till she was at Leo's desk. Now that she had finished her conversation with Skye, had seen she was okay, it was work time. The fun was gone, and Asia was back to business. She perched herself in the side of Leo's desk, crossing her legs and pulling out each of her guns, inspecting each, making sure it was clean, properly loaded, ready to go if needed. Then she clicked out the knives on her wristlets, checking each blade, verifying everything was in perfect shape.