Chapter SixtyFour

The sky seemed so much closer here. Big and blue with the softest white clouds. Cobblestone paths beneath their feet and trees swaying lazily in the wind. There were mountains in every direction that Asia looked. The buildings had what appeared to be Chinese styled architecture, placing them at what Asia guessed was probably in the Himalayas. And it was beautiful, really really beautiful. Asia understood why Skye liked it here so much.

But Asia didn't have but a moment to take in the beauty before she noticed the presence of people immediately surging forward towards her as Skye held up her hands in protest. "She's with me, she's one of us," Skye insisted, and the people surrounding them seemed to stop pushing forward, but still stood their ground. Asia automatically clenched her fists, feet sliding into a position which would be easiest to fight if necessary. But she had a feeling any fight here wouldn't quite be fair. If there were people in Afterlife, surely they were all powered. Surely they had a better understanding of how their powers worked than Asia did. Surely, she would lose. But she wasn't a quitter, so the brunette held her ground.

Suddenly, from a point in the ring surrounding her, the Inhumans began to part slowly, allowing one woman to walk through. She was short, only a bit taller than Asia herself, with her dark brown hair braided into one thick braid that hung over her right shoulder. Her eyes were thin and calculating, her cheekbones high, and scarred. She wore garb similar to that of a monk and she held an even gaze with Asia, before her eyes flicked over the woman's appearance.

"Shield? You brought Shield here?" She directed the anger-fueled question towards Skye, though she never took her eyes from Asia, that calculating gaze cutting to her bones, making even Asia feel cold. And damnit, she never felt cold.

"She's not Shield," Skye sighed, pressing a palm to her forehead. "Well, she is, but. She's not. She's one of us," she glanced back at Asia sympathetically, and instantly Asia made the connection. This woman was Skye's mother. Skye gave her a small smile, then turned back to the woman. "You and I should talk." And then they were both gone, walking away off towards one of the many buildings that dotted the mountains.

Asia looked over at Lincoln, eyebrow raised in question. What was she even supposed to do now? None of the people around them seemed altogether trusting of her presence. "And now?" She asked after a moment.

"Now you and I can go get lunch. And then we'll train," Lincoln said with a smile, grabbing her elbow and pulling her through the crowd, ignoring the hostile looks as they passed through the parting wave of people. Asia kept her head down to avoid the glares, but the energy she felt around her was like none she had every experienced previously. As Lincoln led her down a cobblestone path, she couldn't even imagine what was in store for her here in Afterlife.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So what exactly is this supposed to do?" Asia asked as she lay quietly on a table, needles poking out of her skin. They itched. Badly. She wanted to fidget but didn't dare ruin whatever process Lincoln had started.

"It's going to help tidy up your transformation. Honestly, you did a really good job on your own which is surprising. Not a lot of individuals can walk themselves through such an intense body change. Tell me, how'd you manage?" Lincoln asked, sitting in a swivel chair beside the cot she lay flat on.

"To be honest, I didn't at first. I was a mess. And scared. And then I started just meditating, and practicing, and not letting it be more than just another, new part of who I am. It was really hard at first, trying to come to terms with this new person who I suddenly was," she sighed, shaking her head. "There were days when I thought I'd completely lose it. But I've had a lot of training in controlling my body." She gestured down at the scars over her body, the muscles that were trim along her arms and legs. "Comes from the whole train by assassins thing I guess." She glanced back up at him, watching his reaction.

The blonde thought about it for a moment, nodding to himself. "I could see the meditation being helpful. What I really want to know is what exactly it is you think you can do?" He leaned in, looking at her quizzically.

"What I can...do?" She asked, her brow furrowing. "I can control ice, I guess?" It came out more of a question than a statement. She had never really thought about the detail of what she did until now. No one had ever really asked until now. Leo had tried to understand what she did as well, but never on this minuet of a detail.

"I think it's a little more complicated than just that," Lincoln said, giving her a small grin. "I didn't want to spring it all on you before we got here. Wanted to let you get comfortable first, help you further in the transition process." He brushed back his blonde spiked hair for a moment, the grin still on his lips. She could see why Skye liked him so much. He was kind, incredibly so. And yet, she was worried about what he was going to say. Maybe worried wasn't the correct word. Apprehensive? That felt slightly more correct. "I think it's more than just ice. I think it's all water molecules. I think you have the power to create and manipulate them. The percentage of water your body is significantly higher than your average human." He chuckled. "I guess that's what makes you Inhuman."

"So why all the ice then?" Asia asked. She hadn't felt anything about a connection to water. Everything she had ever done, it was all ice, it was all frost. The colder elements. She felt colder, all the time.

"I think that had to do with your incomplete transition. I think if you had been here. Hadn't done things old school with the temple. I think then maybe you would have had your more complete skill set from the beginning. But after today," he leaned back, crossing his arms behind his head, "I think after today you'll be all set. We can go out to one of our training locations and test it out."

She rolled her head back straight to look up at the ceiling above them. It was a lot to take in. All of it. First she was Inhuman, now she supposedly had more powers than she had even imagined to begin with. And what if she didn't want them? What if she simply wanted to go back to her old life? She understood now, the weight that a gift like this could bring. She understood now, those who never wanted to be heroes. She understood it all, but she didn't know what it was she wanted, either. Gift versus Burden. Fate versus Choice. There were so many thoughts running through her head, she even forgot how itchy she had been only moments before.

"Could I have a moment to shut my eyes?" She asked Lincoln suddenly, not looking over at him. She just kept staring up at one spot on the ceiling.

"Of course. We should only need to keep the needles in for half an hour or so longer. I'll be right outside if you need anything," He stood up, stretching his arms, before walking towards the door. When he reached the doorway, he paused, looking back at her. "You're going to be just fine, Asia. You know that, right?" He called over to her.

"I know," she called back, shutting her eyes and blocking all the light out. She knew she would be fine, eventually. Just not now, not in this instance. As she breathed slowly, letting her body relax, she left her mind drift. And as it so often did, it drifted to her safety, her shield, her matching half. It drifted to Leo. Always Leo.