chapter I || wormhole

//quick disclaimer!
this is an old story, made around a year ago (mid-2019). i don't remember exactly when. i wasn't that great of a writer back then, so please don't get mad at me. i have improved exponentially (in my opinion) since then. i might come back and revamp some of the older scenes at some point. thanks!

Engineer stood up on a table to get his team's attention. He had an idea. "Can I have all of y'all's attention?" Engineer announced. The team looked up at him.

        "I got an idea last night in a dream to make a time machine. Oh, wait, that rhymes," Engineer began.

        "A time machine? Whoo-hoo!" Scout sang.

        "Shut up, tiny baby man," Heavy grunted. Scout sat there and pouted. He mumbled a few incoherent words and crossed his arms.

        "Any questions?" Engineer asked. Pyro raised his hand and spoke, but no one could comprehend what he was saying, for obvious reasons.

        "Are we going into the time machine? If we are, I want no part in it." Spy stated while lighting his cigarette.

        "Yes, but we are all going in." Engineer said. Spy rolled his eyes and cloaked to invisibility.

"Any more questions?" Engineer asked again. No one else spoke up, so Engineer announced, "alrighty, then. I'm gonna get to work on my machine." Engineer hopped off the table and walked to his garage.

"Hmm. . . I never made a time machine before, so I need to figure out how it would work." Engineer said to himself.

✰✰✰

It took precisely seventy-two hours, forty-two minutes, and two seconds to come up with the equations and build the actual time machine. "So, how does it work?" Asked the Spy. Engineer jumped a little bit when Spy spoke.

"S-sorry, I wasn't expecting someone to watch me build," the Engineer stated, "but anyways, it's kind of like a wormhole, except it takes you to a certain time, not a place."

"Interesting," Spy snickered.

"Why?"

"No reason. I'm definitely not going to use this machine for my own purpose and take over the world." Answered Spy.

"Okay, good." Engineer approved.

"Hey, what's up?" Scout greeted, walking through the door.

"I'm just adding some finishing touches to the time machine," Engineer advised.

"The time machine's done?" Soldier yelled as usual and pushed Scout out of the way to get into the garage.

"Really?" Scout asked Soldier as he was trying to get up.

"Just about," Engineer announced. Pyro comes in and starts mumbling happily. Soon the whole team was in Engineer's garage.

"Are y'all ready?" Engineer asked excitedly. The team all said yeah, so Engineer cheered, "yeehaw! Let's go!"

Engineer turned on the time machine, which opened up a portal. He walked in, and the team followed him, except for Spy.

Spy announced, "hold up, I forgot something." He messed with the time machine a bit and laughed maniacally. He pulled out a radio and spoke into it.

"Mission successful, I don't think they will be coming back," Spy stated.

He took off his cloaking mask and revealed that he was actually a BLU Spy.

✰✰✰

"Hold up, I forgot something," the team heard Spy say. They had no idea what timeline they were in, or where they were at. A few moments later, the wormhole closed.

"Well, that's just great." Engineer groaned. "The wormhole wasn't supposed to close."

"Thanks, Engie, you got us stuck in a timeline far from ours," Scout accused. In the distance, Medic noticed a town. "Oh, look, it's a town! Wunderbar! (German for "wonderful")" Medic announced.

"Nice," Sniper said. The team headed towards the town. "Looks like we're in the Old West." Scout addressed.

"Did anyone bring any weapons just in case something bad happens?" Engineer asked. The team searched, but no one had anything. "Okay, then, we are not prepared." Engineer chuckled.

"Is anyone else worried that we might not make it back home?" Scout quavered.

"No, we'll be fine. If we can't make it back, I'm sure there'll be more people to kill instead of BLU team." Demoman reassured, taking a sip of his rum. That probably reassured the team. If it did, it didn't do much.

"Anyway, we wouldn't be stuck. I have this portal gun that can take us back. This can only be used once, though, before it needs to be recharged," Engineer explained, "time is tricky, though, so it might take a few tries to get to the desired time and area." The team just lost their reassurance then.

" The team just lost their reassurance then