• Mystogan x Modern! reader

Muffins

      "(First Name)! Hurry up!"

            "At least tell me where we're going, Jellal... where the hell is your brother, anyways? Does this involve him?"

            The grinning male, suppressing a laugh, grabs your hand and pulls you along the college campus path faster.

            "Answer me, dammit, Jellal!" You scowl as you run after him, trying to avoid the puddles in the pavement. Pulling up your hood so it covers your head, you keep your head down and watch the ground in front of you, trying to avoid getting water on your glasses.

            The two of you run for a while until Jellal suddenly stops; you almost bump into him but manage to regain your balance quickly. You look up at what your best friend's stopped in front of: the local Meteorbucks, a café chain popular with teens and young adults, conveniently located next to your college.

            You cock an eyebrow. "Here? Seriously? Meteorbucks?"

            He nods, flashing you a quick smile before tugging you into the store with him.

            "At least tell me what I'm here for!" You prod his shoulder as you say so, pulling down your hood and wiping your glasses on your shirt.

            "Nope."

            "Screw you."

            "You know you want to," comes his sarcastic reply.

            "I knew I shouldn't have taught you that comeback," you mutter. The two of you wind up standing in front of a booth where Jellal's doppelganger, Mystogan, sits reading a book with a cup of tea in front of him.

            "Mystogan!" Jellal taps Mystogan's arm, pulling him out of his book.

            "Jellal? What're you doing here?" The stoic male looks up at his twin brother. Then, realizing you're standing next to Jellal, he says, "Oh, hi, (First Name)."

            "Fancy meeting you here," you roll your eyes, playfully socking Jellal in the shoulder.

            "Well, I'll leave it up to you!" Jellal says, pushing you into the booth seat across from Mystogan and promptly skirting it out of the store, leaving you befuddled as to why that just happened.

            You voice those exact thoughts aloud to Mystogan, who replies with, "He's Jellal," as if that answers the question. The male turns back to look down at his book again, gritting his teeth and cursing out his twin for leaving him in this awkward, secretly-somewhat-desirable situation with you.

            The wooden ceiling fans swirl above the two of you slowly as you swing your feet in an imaginary tempo. Coffee is everywhere and you can practically taste the (favorite muffin flavor) muffins from the small bakery display. Staring at the glass wall separating you and the pastries, you're tempted to get one, but the lightness of your nonexistent purse on your shoulder reminds you: You left your purse in your dorm room. How fun.

            "Do you want a muffin?"

            "What? Oh, no, I'm... I'm fine," you say, jerking back suddenly in your seat and staring at Mystogan, who caught you in your fervent daydream for muffins.

            "What's your favorite flavor?"

            "It's (favorite muffin flavor)... but don't you dare go buy me a muffin— Mystogan, get back here!" You protest, about to stand up and grab his sleeve to drag him back to the booth.

            He turns to look at you. "If you get up, we'll lose the booth." Cracking a small smile at you, he continues, "Let me. It's my way of apologizing for my brother."

            You sit back down on the plush seats, eyeing the tall male as he orders your muffin and pays for it. Glancing over at the book, you pull it closer to you and read the summary on its book flap, about to turn to read the first page. You feel a curious gaze on you and you slowly turn to see Mystogan standing next to you, holding a muffin and a cup of tea.

            "...do you like the book?" You manage to gulp out after returning the book to its original position; you stare down at your lap as he places the food and drink in front of you.

            "Yeah. Want to read it?"

            "Y-Yeah. I'd love to."

            He slides the book towards you. "I'm just about done with it, so here," he smiles, taking a sip of his tea and watching you over the rim of the cup.

            "Thanks," you murmur. Biting into the muffin, you flip to the first page and soon, the pages are flying through the air as you continue on your journey through the book.

            Before long, you glance at your watch and realize that an hour's gone by – and Mystogan's been watching you the entire time. You flush. "Sorry I hogged your book," you say, sliding it back towards him.

            "No... you can have it."

            "Are you sure?"

            "Yeah."

            "But now I feel bad. About keeping your book, I mean, and making you buy me food and stuff..." You squirm in your seat and look down, sighing. Damn Jellal. An image of his smiling face pops up in your mind and you make a fist in your lap. I'll kill that cheeky bastard when I next see him.

            "If you feel so bad, why don't you take it for the week?"

            You look up at him, curious. "Then how will you get it back? We don't have any classes together, and I highly doubt Jellal would be willing to act as a human express shipping service to return it to you."

            He seems to fidget under your analyzing gaze. "We... we can meet here again next week, if you'd like."

            Your mouth falls agape a bit as you realize what he's implying. A date? Or just an ordinary meeting? Watching his cheeks flush just the slightest bit, you hide a smile with your hand under the pretense of pushing your glasses further up your nose. I'll go with the former: another date. "Yeah."

            "Yeah?" Mystogan looks at you, unsure of what you said.

            "Yeah. Yeah, I'd like that. Let's meet here again next week. My treat."

————————

From- Devianart

Credit- dragonmunchy