Chapter 24: Though I try to get you out of my head

“Ahh hello kids!” Anne was so excited and immediately pulled them into a group hug before kissing their cheeks and pulling them inside.

“Here Anne, I bought these for you to brighten up your day.”

Grace handed her the flowers and Anne smiled widely, thanking Grace with another kiss to the cheek.

“Thank you darling these are beautiful! I’ll put them in a vase, Harry go ahead and put the bags in the rooms, the guest one is set up for Grace.”

Harry nodded and took the bags upstairs while grace followed Anne into the kitchen. She busied herself with grabbing a vase and filling it with water while Grace sat down at the breakfast bar, inhaling the enticing aroma of lunch being cooked.

“I’m so happy you could come with him this weekend Grace, I love having you around.” Grace smiled.

“Well thank you for having me Anne, I love being around here.” Anne smiled over her shoulder at the girl she looked to as another daughter.

“You are always welcome here sweetheart, Robin won’t be around this weekend so it’s just you kids and me.”

“Oh that’s too bad.”

“Yes he’s very sorry but he had business to attend to.”

Harry made his appearance in the kitchen just a couple of minutes later and sat down beside Grace.

“Lunch smells great mum, what is it?”

“Pasta, something light, and then for dinner I’ll take us all out.”

“Sounds great.” Grace replied and Harry nodded in agreement.

Anne dishes the pasta out into three bowls, making it look fancy and presentable before handing over glasses of cold water with lemon slices amongst the ice cubes. The three sat together at the kitchen table while Harry filled Anne in about the previous leg of the world tour he had just embarked on. Grace smiled as she saw the way Anne’s eyes lit up, it was so obvious she was proud of him and all that he had managed to accomplish since starting this whole thing.

She was very close to both her children and full of motherly pride at all their amazing accomplishments.

And Grace loved seeing the way Harry and Anne interacted, they laughed and talked so easily and she loved being able to see the resemblance between them. Harry mentioned how Grace had visited in Paris and Anne smiled over at Grace.

“Paris is the most romantic city in the world.” She commented. Grace blushed.

“It was very beautiful, especially at night with the Eiffel Tower lit up.” Grace replied, ignoring the hint Anne was throwing her way. Harry chuckled.

“It was a stellar sight mum.”

“One day we’ll have to go.”

“I’m down for that, Grace’s nan is heading up to Paris for the summer.” Anne turned to Grace.

“Is she?” Grace nodded.

“She wants to take a summer off and go back to her roots, she was born and raised in Paris.” Grace replied.

“How fascinating! I would love to meet her one of these days.” Anne said.

“Soon mum.” Harry reassured her and Grace nodded her head in agreement. They all finished eating their pasta after enjoying lovely conversation for an hour and a half. And then Anne went upstairs to “handle some business” while leaving Harry and Grace alone. Harry knew his mother had done this on purpose, and he felt his face flush with embarrassment. Grace didn’t seem bothered though.