Chapter 1 : Cause I'm dying just to know your name

Grace Potter sat at the front counter of her nana’s bookshop. She loved working here, had always had a real love for literature, and as embarrassing as it sounded, could easily get lost in her stories. She spent a lot of time alone growing up for the soul fact that she was shy and had been shuffled around quite a bit before finding home with her nana and papa. Unfortunately, papa had passed away when Grace was only eight so it was just nana and she from there on out, but that was okay too because they were extremely close.

Grace heard the bell above the door ding and she immediately looked up to see a girl standing at the front, looking around.

“Welcome to Crooks and Nanny’s Bookshop, let me know if I can help you with anything Love.” Grace greeted the girl with her soft and melodic voice.

The girl looked up immediately and smiled over at Grace with a bright beaming smile, her straight white teeth and dimples poking out.

“Thank you Sugar, I appreciate that! Got any good suggestions for me?” Grace dog-eared the page of her current read.

“That all depends on your style.” Grace replied. The girl approached the front desk and leaned against it.

“Surprise me, I’m not too picky and I could use a few good reads to prep me for when I leave the country again. Plane rides get so long and boring.” She scrunched her nose up slightly and Grace laughed a bit at her expression.

The girl was very beautiful, Grace felt self-conscious of herself immediately. The girl was no doubt Grace’s height at 5’3’’, and she was tiny and petite like Grace so they were built similarly but that’s about as far as the similarities went. The girl had fair skin like Grace but had a natural pretty flush to her flawless skin, a button nose that had a light sprinkling of freckles and the most amazing turquoise colored eyes that stood out well with her smoky eye-makeup. She had extremely long hair that spilled down her back and torso and it was a pretty caramel color with her tips tone a honey blonde color with the ombre affect. Grace paled in comparison to this beauty.

“Hmm…well, if you say so, I’ll give you a few of my favorite pieces.” The girl smiled and waited patiently as Grace went around the shop and grabbed three classics: To Kill A MockingbirdA Midsummer Night’s Dream, and Alice’s Adventures In Wonderland.

“Ooh! I love To Kill A Mockingbird, such a fine piece of Classic American Literature! And I’ve been meaning to get around to reading the Alice novel, did you find it confusing at all?” Grace shrugged.

“It can be a bit odd and you might have to re-read some passages but it’s a very intriguing piece. I hope you don’t mind that I chose a Shakespeare tale, that one is my favorite.”

“Not at all, I read it back in school but it’s been so long that I wouldn’t mind! Though, I might need to buy the companion piece that translates certain parts, those get to me sometimes.” She admitted with an embarrassed laugh.

Grace grinned and handed her a copy from underneath the desk.

“No trouble at all, will this be all?”

“Indeed!” Grace nodded and began to ring up the books.

“I’m Elise by the way, Elise Jean Flynn, but my friends call me Lise, you may call me whatever you wish to.” Grace placed her hand in Elise’s and shook it politely.

“Nice to meet you Elise, I’m Grace Mara Potter.”

“Aww I love your name! It’s so pretty! Are you Irish by any chance?”

“Unfortunately not, my father was English and my mum was French.”

“Ooh! How exciting! My mum is French as well…but um…I couldn’t help but notice you said ‘was’ as in past tense…” Elise drifted off.