Chapter 22: So many words we're not saying

~Few Months Later~

Grace yawned as she unlocked Harry’s front door to let herself in. Tails and Molly greeted her, Molly rubbing against her legs and Tails jumping on them to be picked up.

“Hello my wee ones.”

Grace petted Molly’s head who nuzzled into her hand before she scooped Tails up like the baby he was and rubbed his belly. She was extremely exhausted, having worked a long shift and having to finish her homework while at work.

It was a bit of a slower day. She was hungry and exhausted and just wanted to collapse on the bed entirely. She went into the kitchen, feeding the animals and giving them fresh water before she opened the back door to let Tails go potty.

“What to eat what to eat…”

She ended up grabbing leftover Chinese, as most college students do, and waited for that to heat up. Her phone suddenly ringing, blasting out “Don’t Fear the Reaper” by Blue Oyster Cult, nearly scared the crap out of her, as it was flashing the LED light and vibrating as well, she knew it was Harry calling immediately and she smiled at the picture of him displayed. She swiped her thumb across the screen before leaning on the counter, putting Harry on speaker.

“Hello?”

“Hey Gracie, did I wake you?”

“Nope, I just got home.”

“What? It’s almost midnight!”

“I had a long shift.” She yawned before the microwave beeped and she grabbed a soda.

“You’re just barely eating?!” Harry nearly yelled.

“I’m fine Hazza I promise, I’ll go to sleep right after this.”

“Well, I suppose this means you won’t be meeting me at the airport.” She gasped loudly.

“Oh my God! I swear I didn’t forget, I mean that would be impossible, I think my mind was just overwhelmed all week, oh my God I’ll be there, I promise—“

“No.”

“What? Why not? Don’t…don’t you want me to?”

Harry laughed his raspy laugh at her and Grace bit her bottom lip anxiously as she waited.

“Of course I do Love, but not at the risk of you crashing the car on the way there from lack of sleep. We’re landing at 7 in the morning, it won’t take me long to get home. I’ll just see you when I get there.”

“Oh but Harry—“

“The guys will understand, just as I do, we’d rather you be safe and tucked away.”

Harry chuckled again. Grace sighed and ate some of her noodles.

“I’m sorry I’m a complete failure at being a friend.” Grace was disappointed in herself.

“Oh no, don’t even go there Grace, I’m fine with it, seriously I’d rather come home to you in one piece. We’ll hang out after you wake up okay?”

“But—“

“What? Do you want me to wake you up?”

“Wake me up when you get here.”

She smiled to herself and ate some of her orange chicken. He chuckled again.

“Okay fine, I will. We’ll go to lunch or dinner or something, but my mum wants me to come down to Holmes Chapel this weekend. She wants to see you, would you like to come? It’ll just be for the weekend.”