Chapter 8: I hear the beat of my heart getting louder whenever I'm near you

Harry’s smile widened and he immediately pulled her inside the much warmer home, before he wrapped her in a tight hug. She hugged him back to the best of her abilities since her hands were full and a little bark from inside her bag caused them to pull apart, laughing as Tails stuck his head out.

“Tails!” Harry opened her satchel flap and picked him up, laughing as Tails licked all over Harry’s face and cuddled up to his chest.

“He missed you almost as much as I did I think.” She laughed.

“Wow, I can’t believe you woke up in the middle of the night to do this Gracie.” Harry grinned. She shrugged.

“I haven’t slept, I was too busy preparing for your birthday.” His eyes widened.

“You haven’t slept?” She shook her head. She was tired but she was too excited to show it. Harry was home.

“These are for you, but you’re not allowed to open your present until later.” Harry led her into his kitchen before she set the box of his goodies down. He removed the violet ribbon and opened the lid, his jaw dropping at the decorative cupcakes inside.

“There’s one for each year you were born, so there’s eighteen total. They’re a mix of chocolate, strawberry and vanilla, all of them have filling on the inside and the jewels are edible.” Grace explained.

“Grace…these are amazing. Thank you so much.” She smiled at him.

“You’re so welcome Harry, you went all out for my birthday so I’m doing the same for you.” He chuckled.

“Can I eat one now?”

“If you’d like.”

Grace ended up snapping a picture of Harry holding his box of cupcakes as he smiled sleepily at the camera on Harry’s phone. He set Tails down on his kitchen countertop before taking one with pink frosting and he told Grace to eat one too. She took one with blue frosting and Harry un-wrapped his before biting into it immediately, his eyes nearly rolling into the back of his head at how delicious it was.

He had chosen a strawberry one with strawberry cream cheese filling and it was so moist and warm and delicious and Grace giggled seeing how happy he was.

“These are fucking amazing Gracie.” He moaned.

“I’m glad you think so, but you best hide them from Niall, or else he’ll gobble them all up.” Harry nodded and put them in his fridge before he eyed her present.

“I really can’t open it until later?”

“Nope.”

He pouted but then he pulled Grace into his arms, lifting her off the ground as he hugged her tight. She embraced him back, sighing contently at the familiar feelings of his arms around her and his scent in her nose. She really liked Harry, a lot, and that truly terrified her, but she was so willing to take a chance for him. And Harry only had one wish for his birthday, which was to make her his girlfriend finally.

He was tired of playing games. He was going to make it happen.

Harry gently sat her down on the countertop next to Tails before they were level with each other almost perfectly, Harry still having to incline his head just a bit.

“So what are your plans?” Grace asked.

“My mum and sis want me to come home so they can take me to lunch and spend some time with me. But, I want you to come, they told me I could bring a plus one and I choose you.” Grace looked at him in surprise.

“Oh Harry, I couldn’t possibly intrude on your time with them, that’s precious and—“

“And I want you to come home with me. They’ve both heard so much about you already, and they want to meet you. Come on Gracie, please?” She bit her bottom lip.