Chapter Fifty-Eight: Stay With Me

Shoto gently placed you in your bed, tensing as you groaned faintly in pain. "Sorry sweetheart, but you can sleep now."

He pulled the covers up and over your battered form before carefully taking a seat beside you on your bed. He brushed some hair out of your face then pulled his phone from his pocket and set a timer.

"How the hell did this happen?" Shoto sighed in frustration as he looked around your darkened room.

You shifted slightly in your sleep, letting out a pained whimper. Shoto frowned as he looked towards you once more. So many questions swirled through his head.

Bakugo obviously knows what's going on, so why don't I? Even if she doesn't like me romantically, we grew up together. I thought that we were the closest friends could be... why would she tell him things but not me?

Shoto swallowed the lump forming in his throat. Only one way to find out.

Shoto stood, leaning over briefly to place a light kiss on your forehead before he left you to sleep.

Upon returning to the kitchen Shoto saw that Katsuki was now leaning against the counter, scowling as he fiddled with a phone.

"What's that?"

Katsuki jumped slightly, almost dropping the phone. He glanced at Shoto, his crimson eyes reflecting his anxieties.

"It's her phone." Katsuki held the phone out towards Shoto, revealing the shattered and bloodied screen. "The line went dead after she called and it won't turn on now. I'm guessing that it got broken when she was attacked."

Shoto winced as he took the phone from Katsuki, the action making pain radiate through his left hand. "You're awfully calm about all of this."

Katsuki let out a small, humourless laugh as he ran a hand through his ash blond spikes. "Am I? I think it's more shock than calm. I'm still trying to process what just happened."

Shoto nodded in understanding. If it hadn't been for Katsuki, he wasn't sure he would have been able to help you at all.

"Here, I'll fix up your hand now," Katsuki pulled a chair from the kitchen table, taking a seat as he motioned for Shoto to do the same.

Shoto obliged, holding his left hand out to Katsuki as the blond pulled the first aid kit into his lap.

They sat in silence as Katsuki went to work cleaning up Shoto's cuts. Shoto struggled to figure out which question he should ask first. He winced briefly when Katsuki poured the disinfectant over his hand, but remained still.

"Why did she call you and not me?"

Katsuki paused before continuing to wrap Shoto's hand with gauze. "Because I told her to."

Shoto scrunched up his face. What the hell is that supposed to mean? "You knew that this was going to happen to her?"

Katsuki tugged on the gauze sharply, causing Shoto to flinch. He glared at Shoto. "No, otherwise I wouldn't have fucking let it happen."

Katsuki inhaled sharply, trying to rein in his anger. Fighting isn't going to do us any good right now. "Besides, if she'd called you, would you have answered?"

"Of course I would have-"

"Yeah, now that you know why she was calling." Katsuki dropped Shoto's bandaged hand. "But you said she wasn't your girlfriend anymore, right? So why would you answer the phone if your ex called?"

Shoto clenched his jaw. He hated that Katsuki was right. Then something dawned on him. "Wait, you called her my girlfriend when you came to get me, and you didn't know where she lived, so..."