Chapter Thirty-Four: The Lovers Tree

You couldn't remember how long you'd ran for. You didn't even know where you were, or how far you'd gone. You'd just ran, your need to escape outweighing your common sense. Wherever you were now, you'd come here instinctually.

You were in some park you didn't recognize, sitting under a tree off in a corner far away from the main area. At some point it had started to rain, chasing away the children playing merrily on the playground.

You'd managed to prop yourself up on some of the raised roots of the tree. Your body was shielded from the raindrops cascading down from above and the muddy water that now flooded the ground below. The day had grown dark, the air starting to cool as evening faded into night. You didn't even know what time it was.

In your rush, you'd left all of your belongings in the clubroom at UA. Including your phone. So here you sat, your knees pressed to your chest as you curled up around yourself and cried. You cried about everything; the abuse you'd gone through, the things that were expected of you, and about your lack of freedom.

You cried about Shoto. You were so worried about what was expected of the both of you, that it practically overshadowed your relationship. Even if you two truly fell in love, it didn't even matter. All that mattered was that you got married and had kids. Even if you grew to hate each other in the process, they didn't care.

You cried about the life you were living, like an actor following a strict script. Even your moments of happiness seemed fake. How could they be real? You were only doing what you were told, what you'd been forced to do since you were a child.

You cried about Katsuki, about how he'd kissed you. Did it even matter? Even if you'd somehow started to like him, or eventually fell for him, it was pointless. You were a pawn, made to be manipulated and controlled. They'd even sacrificed you if the occasion called for it. As far as everyone was concerned, your marriage to Shoto was the end game.

You didn't know how long you stayed like that. By the time your eyes had dried and your voice had become horse, you'd long since given up hope of going home. You were lost after all, both in this moment, and in life.

You closed your eyes, leaning you head down on your knees as you listened to the rain falling around you. The rhythmic pitter patter felt calming after everything.

"I thought I'd find you here."

You raised your head slowly, eyes widening in surprise as you looked at Shoto. You hadn't heard him coming. He held a clear umbrella over his head with one hand, a dark raincoat matching his own held in the other. His expression was serious, his lips forming a hard line. From the look in his eyes you could tell that he was relieved to see you. He closed the umbrella as he stepped under the shelter of the tree, tossing the spare raincoat over his shoulder.

"How'd you find me?" You rasped, wincing at the pain in your throat.

Shoto crouched down in front of you, eyes searching your face. Your eyes were red and swollen from crying, your expression somber. "You don't remember this place, do you?" He asked softly.

You looked past him to the park you'd seen the kids playing at earlier, shaking your head when no memories appeared.

Shoto sighed, standing as his held out his left hand. A small flame appeared in his palm. You watched in confusion as he reached above you to trace a part of the tree that was now illuminated. Your gasped in surprise as you saw the markings that had gone unnoticed earlier. Both of your initials were singed into the bark of the tree, a crudely drawn heart surrounding them.

"We did this, not long after we met," Shoto traced the design lovingly with his fingertips. "Though we haven't been here since you moved away."

You swallowed hard, your heart leaping into your throat. That means that he did that before the incident with his mother; before he swore that he'd never use his fire quirk again.