Chapter Twenty-Six: Forgotten

You slowly opened your eyes, blinking a few times in an attempt to adjust your blurry vision. You raised your hands to rub your face, hissing in pain as something tugged at your right arm. You laid it back down, using just your left hand instead.

Your immediate vision was filled with some sort of machines, various beeps and noises reaching your ears. Looking down, you noticed various wires attached to your chest and arms, presumably attached to the machines around you. An IV adorned your right elbow, and you slowly realized you must have been in a hospital.

Why does this seem so familiar? You sat up slowly, clutching your head as pain shot behind your eyes. A dull throbbing made its way through your skull, an overwhelming feeling of nausea threatening to make you puke.

What the hell happened? Why am I here? Was I in an accident? Dread filled you as the memory of bright lights and screeching metal returned. Mom! Where's mom? Is she okay?

You frantically turned your head, searching for her, the sudden movement making you dizzy. You gripped the railing around your hospital bed, leaning over the side to empty your stomach onto the white tiled floor.

"Oh my god! (Y/n)! Are you okay?!"

Footsteps sounded as someone ran to you, their hands reaching out to pull your hair up and out of the way as you continued to vomit. Your stomach was already empty, but it didn't stop. Your throat burned as stomach acid and bile continued to make its way out of your body.

You stayed hunched over, gasping for air once it had finally ended, a rancid taste in your mouth. You felt your hair shift as whoever had come to help you moved one hand down to gently rub your back, trying to sooth you.

"It's okay, I'm here. You're safe now," his words were soft and reassuring, his voice sounding vaguely familiar.

You slowly turned your head to look up at him, a pair of grey and turquoise eyes meeting yours. White and red bangs fell into his face, concern evident in his soft features. Sho-sho?

You winced as sharp pain shot behind your eyes once more, leaving you to turn back to the floor, dry heaving. You coughed and gasped for air, closing your eyes and gritting your teeth as you slowly sat back up.

The boy placed one hand on your shoulder, helping to steady you. That's right, it's been a few years since mom was killed... You tried to fight the tears that sprung to your eyes as you opened them.

You looked to the boy who was eyeing you suspiciously, probably worried that you were going to start puking again. He does look a lot like Sho-sho, but he's too old to be him, isn't he? Maybe one of his brothers? You squinted at the boy, confused.

"Are you all right?" He slowly removed his hands, making sure that you were able to stay upright without his help.

"I think so..." you rasped, wincing at the slight pain it caused. Your mouth was already so dry, and vomiting had done nothing to help your throat. "Who... who are you?"

~~~

"It appears she's suffering from some memory loss due to the over exertion of her quirk," the Dr informed Shoto.

He peeked through the window in the door, watching as a nurse chatted with you. "How long will it last?" He looked back to the Dr.

"I'd say, maybe a week at most," he sighed. "Things should start to slowly return to her over the next few days, though it's likely that she will never remember what happened the day of the incident. Right now, it seems that's she's missing close to the past 10 years of her memory, maybe a bit less."

"And you're sure she'll regain all of her memories?" Shoto frowned. How is she going to manage without her memories?

"Yes, I'm quite certain," the Dr reassured him. "Like I said, it will take a week or so for her to regain them. Her mental state is still the same as before, she's simply missing some information. Most of her memories will return as she goes through her daily life, so she should continue as if nothing's happened. I hope that you'll be able to watch over her carefully until then."

"That shouldn't be a problem," Shoto nodded.

"Good," the Dr gave him a small smile. "She'll be able to go home shortly." He went on his way, leaving Shoto to return to your room.

You looked up as he entered, eyeing him as the nurse continued to remove all of the sensors from your body. Is that really Sho-sho? He looks so... good... You blushed slightly, turning away from his gaze.

"There, you're all done now sweetheart," the older lady smiled down at you. "You're free to go home now. This fine young gentleman will be taking you home," she motioned towards Shoto.

You nodded. "Okay, thank you."

The nurse hurried on her way, leaving the two of you alone. You turned to look back at Shoto, unsure of how to proceed.

"I know this might seem strange to you," he started slowly. "And I know that it'll be hard to trust me since you don't really remember me, but I'm going to take care of you until you get better, okay?"

You smiled weakly at him. "If you're really my Sho-sho, then of course I trust you."

Shoto's cool demeanour faltered, his eyes widening in surprise. "You remember me?" You nodded, slowly standing up from the hospital bed. "How much do you remember?"

"Not much," you frowned. "I'm pretty sure you should only be about 8 or 9 right now, but clearly that's not the case."

He shook his head, smiling slightly. "Come on, I'll take you home and explain some things on the way."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Author's note:

Hello my lovely readers! Unfortunately I've had some family affairs come up that have been taking up most of my time which means that I'm not going to be able to update like normal. Essentially I'll be going from updating daily to weekly until things are sorted out. Due to this I will attempt to make the coming chapters a bit longer to try and compensate. Sorry for the story delay! Enjoy!