Chapter Fourteen: The Calm Before the Storm

You'd managed to get a decent amount of sleep that night, which meant that you were actually awake and had showered by the time Shoto arrived.

"What would you like for breakfast this morning?" Shoto smiled as he handed you your morning cappuccino, leaving you to follow him into the kitchen.

"I can make these myself you know?" You set down the blue travel mug he'd handed you. "And I do know how to make my own breakfast, contrary to how it looked yesterday."

"I know," he let out a low chuckle, the sound sending shivers down your spine. "But I'm your boyfriend now. I'm supposed to take care of you."

He's your boyfriend... he's supposed to protect you... Katsuki's words rang through your head. You quickly shook away the memory. He's wrong! It's not Shoto's job to look after me. I'm in training to be a pro hero, god damn it! I can look after myself.

"Besides, I love spoiling you," Shoto whispered, so low that you almost didn't hear him. He started to rummage around in the fridge for ingredients, pausing suddenly. "You'll tell me if I'm being too... if I'm interfering too much, right? I don't want to scare you away..." he trailed off, his grey and turquoise eyes filling with unspoken sadness and fear as he looked towards you.

"Shoto..." you walked towards him, wrapping your arms around his waist and pulling him into a gentle hug. "You won't scare me off. I've known you since we were kids, we're best friends remember?" He slowly wrapped his arms around you, tightening the hug. You both stayed like that for a few minutes, the sound of Shoto's breathing and rapid heart beat filling your ears, his familiar pine scent surrounding you. You pulled back slightly looking up at him, a teasing smile appearing on your lips. "Coming here in the morning may be a bit much for the beginning of our relationship, but I'll let it slid for today. How about you just come to pick me up for school for now?"

Shoto nodded slowly. "I can do that... but on one condition." You raised your eyebrow questioningly as he shot you a small smile. "I still get to bring you your morning cappuccino."

"Deal," you laughed lightly, finally stepping away from his embrace.

~~~

Your walk to school that morning was filled with a pleasant silence. Shoto's hand felt warm and comforting as it intertwined with yours, the smell of vanilla filling your nose as you happily sipped your drink. This feels so nice... You snuck a peek at Shoto, a warm feeling spreading through your body when you saw his sweet smile, his thoughts elsewhere. You and Shoto had always found comfort in each other's presence, and today was no exception. Birds chirped from nearby, the sun shinning brightly through the trees that lined the street, casting small dancing shadows on the sidewalk. Is this what love feels like? You gasped softly at your own thoughts, drawing Shoto's attention as you tried to hide your blushing face by looking the other way.

"What are you thinking about?" His breath fanned your neck as he leaned down to whisper in your ear, his low voice sweet and full of humour.

"N-n-nothing!" You stammered, dropping his hand and taking a step back, waving your hands around in front of you. "Nothing at all!"

His eyes sparkled with mischief as he took in your flushed appearance and frantic gestures. "Were you-"

"President (l/n)! Todoroki!" A familiar voice called. Shoto frowned, clearly upset with the interruption as the two of you turned to see the green haired first year smiling and waving as he ran.

"Hey Midoriya," you smiled as he came to a stop in front of you, thankful for the distraction from your embarrassment. "What's up?"