Chapter Two: Growing Up

- Two Months Later -

"Do you really have to go?" Shoto turned on his side to look at you, pouting.

You sighed, reaching over to ruffle his soft red and white hair as you look at him. "Yeah, I do. My aunt is going to travel, so I can't stay at home alone."

"But then I won't be able to see you everyday," he whined. "Can't you just come and live with us?"

You shake your head. Since you'd met, you and Shoto had been forced to spend at least one hour a day together, longer if you didn't have extra lessons. Not that you were complaining. It was to make sure you two got along and liked each other, since you were supposed to be getting married when you both got older.

Shoto had quickly become your best friend, both of you bonding over the ridiculous amount of rules, restrictions and rigorous training that was being forced onto you. When together, you were both allowed to play and be kids, and you definitely enjoyed each others company. Even if he was two years younger, he was still fun to play with and talk to.

"No. If I live here my classes will be too far away for me to go." Caroline had decided that while she was off traveling the world with her latest boyfriend, you were going to be shipped off to an elite, private all girls boarding school a few hours away.

"But your school is too far away!" Shoto cried, grabbing onto your waist and clinging to you. "How are we going to play together?"

You smiled down at him reassuringly. "I'm coming to stay with you every weekend, remember? So we get to play and have a sleep over every week."

His eyes sparkled. "Does that mean you get to sleep in my bed with me?"

You nodded. "Yeah, so I don't have to leave after reading you your bedtime story anymore." You hugged him, his fuzzy green pjs tickling your arms.

He snuggled into your chest. "Good."

You giggled at his obvious contentment. "So what do you want to read for bed time tonight?"

Shoto looked up at you, eyes growing bright. "Can we keep reading Alice in Wonderland?"

You brushed his hair out of his face and nodded. He smiled and let go of you, scrambling out of bed and running over to the small bookshelf in the corner of his bedroom. Grabbing the book, he rushed back over to the bed, crawling over you to get back to his side before placing the book in your lap.

The book had been a gift to the two of you from his mother, after she'd caught you reading picture books to him one day. She wasn't happy that Endeavour had arranged for the two of you to get married, but she couldn't help the smile that appeared every time she watched the two of you playing together, nor could she ignore the obvious fact that you both adored each other.

As Shoto settled back under the covers with you, leaning against your side to look up and watch you, you opened the book to where you'd last left off and began to read.

~~~

You finished the chapter, looking down at Shoto, who was still leaning against you as he struggled to stay awake. His eyes kept opening and closing lazily, his breathing even. It was obvious he hadn't noticed you'd stopped reading. Oh my god! He's so cute! Tears pricked at your eyes. I'm going to miss seeing him every day.

"Sho-sho," you whispered his nick name, reaching over to shake him lightly. He blinked a couple of times, then yawned, stretching against you. You smiled at how adorable he looked, half asleep with his fluffy hair sticking every which way. "It's time for me to go."

He nodded, dazed, as he slowly sat up, allowing you to slip out of his bed. You set the book down on his night stand, then leaned over to tuck him in as he laid down.

"You leave tomorrow, right?" He asked after yawning again.

"Yeah," you sighed. "But I'll see you again in a week for our first sleep over, okay?"

Shoto nodded. "(Y/N)?" He asked tentatively, looking down at his hands.

"What is it Sho-sho?" You asked as you sit down on this edge of his bed.

He fidgeted with his fingers for a few seconds before looking up at you, his cheeks slightly flushed. "Can I have a kiss?"

Your eyes widen in surprise, taken aback. "A kiss? Why?"

"Well," he started fidgeting with his hands again. "We're going to get married one day, right? So shouldn't we kiss when we say goodbye?" Shoto looked up at you, grey and turquoise eyes filled with hope, his lips slightly pouted, some of his bangs falling into his eyes.

How could I say no to that face? You sucked in a breath, cheeks becoming pink with embarrassment. "Yeah, we are going to get married, so I guess that's okay."

A smile broke across his face, melting your heart. You gulped in air. If this is what my life's going to be like, how will my heart ever survive?

Shoto closed his eyes and pursed his lips, waiting patiently for you to kiss him. You smiled and shook your head, then leaned down and gave him a quick peck on the lips, your cheeks now a dark crimson.

"Goodbye Sho-sho," you waved to his sleepy form as you quickly made your escape from his bedroom, your heart hammering in your chest the whole way home.