Chapter Fifty: The Truth About Marriage

You choked on air at Shoto's question as Midoriya stood shell shocked. "Am I... WHAT?!"

"Well are you?" You stared wide eyed at Shoto as he demanded his classmates answer, his expression dead serious.

"No, no way! That's not it at all!" Midoriya frantically denied Shoto's claims. "But I guess even if I was I'd totally say that I wasn't, so you probably won't believe me no matter what I bet. Anyway, I promise you've got the wrong idea."

Shoto lowered his head, thinking about Midoriya's answer. You were at a loss for words. How did he even come to that conclusion. Is there something I've missed?

"And why would you even think that about me?" Midoriya voiced your own thoughts.

Shoto looked to Midoriya once more. "That's not it at all is interesting wording. It suggests there is something between you two that you're not supposed to talk about."

Midoriya looked away from his classmate, unsure of how to handle the situation.

Shoto lowered his head once more, his voice becoming melancholic. "My father is the Hero Endeavour."

Both you and Midoriya looked to Shoto, surprised.

"You must have heard of him, which means you're aware that he's the number 2 Hero." Shoto looked up, anger evident in his grey and turquoise eyes. "So if you're connected to the number 1 Hero All Might in some way, that would mean... That I have even more reason to beat you."

Shoto looked away as he continued. "My old man is ambitious, he aims for the top. He used his power to make a name for himself as a Hero, but he was never able to best All Might, so the Symbol of Peace is living proof of his failure. He's still at it though, trying to take down All Might... One way or another."

"I-I'm not really sure what you're getting at..." Midoriya shook his head, confused. "What are you trying to tell me, Todoroki?"

You knew how it looked. To anyone else, it sounded as is Shoto was saying that his father was acting as a villain, trying to take down All Might by any means necessary.

But you knew the truth. It weighed heavily on your heart. It was the reason why you and Shoto were together after all.

Shoto looked at Midoriya, a pained expression crossing his face briefly. "Have you ever heard of... quirk marriages?"

Katsuki stiffened. He's not implying what I think he is, is he? No way in hell is he with her just for her quirk...

Shoto continued, albeit a little more hesitantly. "They became a problem in the first few generations after super powers became wide spread. There were those who sought out potential mates solely with the intention of creating powerful children. Many people were forced into relationships. They were simply viewed as old fashioned arranged marriages, but clearly it was unethical."

"My father has not only a rich history of accomplishments, but plenty of money to throw at his problems. He bought my mother's relatives to get his hands on her quirk, and now he's raising me to usurp All Might. It's so annoying..."

Tears began to stream down your face. It was almost unbearable to watch, but you couldn't bring yourself to leave.

"I know for a fact that this is the case for (y/n) as well..." Shoto's hands fisted at his sides. "My father arranged for us to be wed at a young age, promising copious amounts of money to her guardian in exchange for her."

The air was sucked from your lungs as Shoto spoke, voicing one of your greatest fears. He knows. He knows that I'm a paid for bride...

It took all of Katsuki's will power not to push off from the wall and charge towards Shoto. That bastard bought her hand in marriage?!