Chapter Forty-Four: Repose

The sound of your phone suddenly ringing pulled you from your thoughts. You lowered your hand, your new bracelet momentarily forgotten. You reached over and pulled your phone from your bag, your face lighting up when you saw who was calling.

"I have to take this," you informed Katsuki, not even bothering to look at him as you answered your phone. "Hey Sho-sho! What's up? I didn't think you'd have a chance to call until later."

Katsuki scowled. Fucking half-and-half. Why's she have to look so fucking happy just because of a phone call?

"My father was called away for some hero work, so I'm taking a short break. I thought that I should call now, since I won't be able to after he returns."

"Oh, okay." Your smile dipped at the corners. "How has your training been going?"

"Honestly, I didn't think my old man could get any worse, but I was wrong." His voice was laced with resentment.

Your smile completely disappeared, replaced by a deep frown. "Oh, Sho-sho, I'm so sorry. I wish there was something that I could do."

Katsuki watched your half of the conversation silently, eyes narrowed. Is he really complaining about training? Does he want to be a pro or not?

"It's fine. How about you? Did you not have training planned for today?"

"No..." you shot Katsuki a sideways glance, guilt sinking into your stomach. "I ended up going out for coffee with some friends."

A smile slowly crept onto Katsuki's face. The temptation to yell something and inform the bastard that his girlfriend was out with him was almost too much. Unfortunately, he didn't want to make the shaky relationship that was his friendship with (y/n) any worse. You'd no doubt be pissed if he did something like that.

"I'm glad your enjoying yourself then."

"Yeah, me too," a small smile adorned your face once more. "I should go, I'm still at the café. I'll see you in the morning, okay?"

"Okay. I should probably get back to training anyways. Have a good night."

"You too." You hung up and turned to Katsuki, who simply raised an eyebrow at you. You shrugged. "He wanted to give me a call since he wouldn't be able to later."

Katsuki huffed and rolled his eyes. "Whatever. Are you going to eat all of my cake or what?"

You blinked, looking down to the small plate in front of you. So much for just trying a bite. You'd absentmindedly managed to eat over half of his slice of spice cake already.

"Oh, wow, I'm so sorry. I didn't realize-"

"Tch, maybe you should be paying attention then." Katsuki reached his hand over to swipe a forkful of the cake, grunting in approval as he ate it. "It's good."

You eyed him suspiciously. "I thought you'd already eaten a slice?"

He shrugged. "I lied."

You nibbled on your bottom lip feeling slightly guilty as he continued to reach across and eat the cake. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to eat almost all of your cake."

"Stop fucking apologizing," Katsuki took a sip of his tea. "You're not in trouble, I offered it, remember?"

You slowly nodded, feeling slightly awkward. "So, uh, you like sweet things too?"

"Not really," he finished off the cake. "I much prefer spicy foods."

You tilted your head to the side, confused. "Cake's not exactly spicy."