Chapter Forty-Three: A Token of Friendship

"Alright, woman," you giggled at Nanami from across the small table. "I have my cappuccino and I have my chocolate cake, now spill!"

"Okay, okay, calm down," Nanami smiled as she took a sip of her coffee. "Let me at least eat some of my cake first."

"Ugh, fine," you huffed as she dug into her slice of strawberry shortcake.

You'd decided on going to the small café that Ochaco had recommended to you earlier that week. You'd poked and prodded the whole way there, but Nanami had insisted on keeping her mouth shut on the topic of Touya until you'd arrived.

You picked up your fork, eyeing Nanami impatiently as you took a bite of your chocolate fudge cake. Oh my god... You hummed contently as the chocolatey goodness melted in you mouth. I'll have to text Ochaco and thank her for the amazing café recommendation. This cake is heavenly!

"So, you're seriously not mad about me telling Touya?" You asked between mouthfuls of cake.

"Nope," Nanami smiled. "It's kind of hard for me to be mad at you when it resulted in him asking me out on a date."

"I knew it!" You practically screamed, drawing way too much attention to yourself in the small café. "Whoops," your cheeks flushed in embarrassment as Nana laughed at you.

"Alright, calm down. I might have to limit your sugar otherwise."

You growled at Nanami and quickly pulled your plate away from her fork as she reached across the table. "Not a chance, woman. This is mine. Get your own if you want some."

"Awe, but (y/n)," she whined. "Best friends are supposed to share!"

"I don't exactly see you offering up any of your short cake," you narrowed your eyes at her almost empty plate.

Nanami shrugged. "It was worth a shot."

"Anyways," you sipped your drink. "You were saying?"

"Oh, right," Nanami smiled. "So I guess after Touya got home Sunday night, he called me right away to talk about you. Once we'd finished that conversation, he told me that you'd mentioned I had a thing for him."

You smacked your forehead and groaned. "He didn't even try to hide the fact that I told him, did he?"

"Nope," she laughed. "And since you'd told him, I couldn't exactly deny it. He basically apologized for being so oblivious all these years, and I told him that I'd come to accept that us being a thing was something that probably wasn't going to happen."

You rolled your eyes. "And exactly how many times did I tell you that you should just confess?"

Nanami stuck her tongue out at you. "Zip it. He was always talking about you, what was I supposed to say? 'Hey Touya, I know that you have a major crush on (y/n), but I like you so you should go out with me instead'. Yeah, right, he'd have totally been receptive to that."

"You never know," you giggled.

"Anyways," Nanami rolled her eyes. "He said that he'd never really thought of me that way, but he was wondering if I'd want to give dating a shot anyways."

"What?" Your eyes widened. "Just like that?"

"I guess," she shrugged. "He said that now that he knew there was absolutely no chance for him with you, if I was okay with it, he wanted to try. We discussed it for a while, and we're not officially dating or anything, but we're going to try going on a couple of dates and see how things go. He said that he owed it to me to at least give 'us' a fair shot."

"It's about damn time," you sighed. "I'd better be the first to know when you get engaged."

Nanami choked on her coffee. "(Y/n)! It's one coffee date, just to try things out, nothing more. Besides," she took another sip of her drink. "You're his best friend. He's obviously going to be bringing you along to pick out the ring."