Chapter 16

At this point you had lost count on how many boys had gone up to receive their Affinity, your mind was quick to blur out most of your surroundings. The sound of your heart beating grew louder and louder in your ears as each minute past.

Ji-Hye's shrill voice calling out a familiar name suddenly forced your attention back to the Altar.

"Park Jimin"

Your eyes grew wide as your head slowly turned, staring in silence and the boy sat beside you.

Jimin was quick to catch your gaze, scrunching up his eyes into a kind smile before loosing his grip on your hand, about to make his way up to the Altar. 

"It'll be okay, (Y/N). I promise," he whispered reassuringly, leaning closer into you.

"But you've gotta let me go up and do this," he finished, looking down at your hands that were still joined together.

You hadn't realized it in your panicked state that you were still tightly clutching onto the poor boys hand as if clinging on for dear life.

Quickly releasing his hand, you nodded in response, trying to hide the fact you were now dying of embarrassment on the inside.

If he didn't think I was weird before I'm sure that display of clinginess just changed his mind...

Jimin stood up abruptly from his seat with an excited smile spread across his face, high-fiving Taehyung as he shuffled past the boy and made his way up the stairs.

Standing at the side of the Elemental Altar, he confidently puffed his chest out and took a deep breath before taking his first steps.

He paced at an accelerated speed completely ignoring the first stand. You could only assume that he had one clear target in his sight, as he darted in a straight line rather than making a lap around the circle as instructed.

"Park Jimin, you are to move slowly past each stand, in a counter clockwise direction! I repeat, slowly!" The school principal bellowed from the podium on the opposite end of the elevated platform.

Paying no attention to your principals instructions, Jimin lost no speed as he continued his race before coming to a sudden stop directly in front of the third stand.

Not a second later a huge blue flame erupted from the candle, firing 10 feet into the air.

You were speechless as you watched him calmly straighten out his suit and run a hand through his hair as if it was all to be expected.

I've never heard of Elemental Candles igniting a flame of that magnitude before...

Amazing...

Jimin was quick to step onto the moonstone in the centre of the circle of candles, impatient to receive his mark before making his way over to the school principal.

"Park Jimin, you have been blessed with the Element water, congratulations."

The applause grew louder, with a few added shouts and whistles at the dramatic display he was putting on.

Jimin quickly turned towards the crowd with an oversized smile plastered on his face, pumping his fist into the air a few times before jumping straight off the platform.

As he made his way back to the seat beside you, you watched as he smacked hands with countless boys along the way, who you could only assume were his team mates on his swim team.

You don't think you've ever seen him in a more happier state.

Must be nice...

Jimin eventually shuffled across your row and sat back down beside you, a little too fixated on his new mark that was now present on his wrist to acknowledge your existence again.