0.1

🎵the suburbs by arcade fire

Atticus Finch is one of the greatest characters in literature history - well in my opinion of course. I find it extremely inspiring how he projects so much courage.  To be that courageous would take a lot of time for a girl like me.

Time that seemed to moving quickly, time that seemed to fly like an arrow- and the more I wasted, the more anxious I became. I had a million things I wanted to do and not merely enough freedom nor time to complete them in.

I fixed the earbud that fell from my ear and hummed along as one of my favorite alternative bands began to play. A song from Arcade Fire, I hummed the chorus as I passed maple street. I liked the song because it reminded me of the little small town I had grown up in, the message of it reached me as well.

My pace slowed as I rounded the street. Quick breaths left my parted lips as I took in all the oxygen I could, my heart pounded against my chest.

Of course it was necessary to be in good shape for my meet on Tuesday, and yes, though I had struggled...had finally been able to get my time under sixteen minutes. It was critical for me to start out with a strong confident strides.

This was possibly my last year for cross country, I still didn't know if I wanted to continue in college... so I was determined to make this season my best.

As I saw my house come into view, stupidly, I broke into a full stride. My quick steps becoming longer and more aggressive against the pavement. There was something about the fall wind that made it impossible to catch my breath. When I walked in the house, it smelled like chicken and something I couldn't really place.

"Home so soon?" My father questioned from the living room.

I was completely winded, I leaned against the frame looking rather flushed, "yeah." I drew out exhaustedly. The raggedness of my breathing amused my dad, who held back laughter.

"Your mother made dinner, go get cleaned up and, it'll probably be finished by the time your done." He said.

I nodded taking slow steps up towards my room, which was a beautiful mess, there wasn't any other way to describe it.

The walls a light pistachio color complimenting the custom built in bookshelves that lined two of the four walls. Oh there was such an abundance of books that I now had to make organized piles on the floors.

My mom wasn't very happy about it but I had my own system and while it was a little unorthodox it worked and still looked very efficient and clean.

I took a quick shower and put on a clean outfit before I walked back downstairs, when I sat down a plate of cooked turkey slices and spinach was set before me- tasty.

I swallowed the spinach fairly easily, I mean I was pleasantly surprised with myself that I even got that far. I was expecting myself to make a snide remark about mom's horrid cooking, then have my dad send me a glare. Followed by some stern talk about respecting your elders.

Fortunately for me, that was all avoided. I washed my plate before quietly setting it in the drying rack. I slipped on my sneakers and coat before walking towards the door.

"And where do you think your going?" my dad asked.

I looked towards the door back to my father who leaned against the frame of the kitchen, "Oh well you see, I was bored. I finished reading the new series I picked up on Monday so I thought maybe I could go to the library to find something else." I spoke up.