2.4

🎵Première Gymnopédie by Erik Satie

"Your love is deadly."
m a i s y

I took the phone from him, gingerly placing the phone to my ear, I didn't say anything yet, I listened to his soft breathing on the other end. I couldn't help it- but much of my anger diminished.

"Hi."I finally responded.

A deep sigh of relief came from the phone, "oh maze, I thought you weren't going to speak to me."

A small gasp left my lips as I was reminded of zayn. That was his nickname for me, I was beginning to forgot what he sounded like. I quickly set the phone down taking a breath. Liam looked worried but I gave him a reassuring small smile when I pulled the phone back up Harry was calling my name frantically.

"Maisy are you okay! What happened, babe are you okay? Please answer me this isn't funny." He rushed out sounding very concerned.

"I'm okay Harry."

"Thank goodness, listen I'm sorry about earlier, very sorry. I didn't know what to do...I care about you so much but if people realize too...it could put us both in a very dangerous position. You know I care about you right?" He asked.

"Yeah."I mumbled.

"I can't hear you love." He teased.

I wanted to tell Harry it was okay to show affection, but maybe he was right. I wanted to tell him that sorry wasn't going to cut it all the time. But all the things I wanted to say I couldn't, "yeah I know you do Harry."

"I've had a long day at work and I can't wait to wrap my arms around you. I'll be home at nine." He said.

"Oh...yeah? I'll see you then." I responded.

Harry could definitely notice how short I was being with him. "Okay well...i just wanted to hear your voice and I uh- I." He spoke softly, struggling to find the right words."  I..I love you."he whispered.

My heart ached at how vulnerable he sounded, he sounded like a lost soul who finally said what he had always had on his mind. I opened my mouth to speak, to return his affection but nothing came out. I couldn't say anything. There was a dull silence from both ends. I could sense him begging me to say it as well, to show him his feelings were unrequited. A few more seconds of silence before he realized I couldn't do it. Then the line went dead.

What's wrong with me?

He had finally showed a piece of himself, he finally showed me a raw emotion and I couldn't say anything in return.  Harry finally was starting to open up and I did nothing to show my appreciation.

I handed Liam his phone which he took gratefully, "everything fine ?" He asked sincerely.

I pressed my lips into a forced smile, like I had done most of my life, "yeah, everything's fine. Everything's fine." I said softly.

I feared that my voice would crack if I got any louder, I was scared that Liam could see right through me. I zoned out before focusing on the people moving around the shop. Liam and I had spent the rest of the day together, walking around the city. He bought me ice cream, and we sat on this concrete wall just watching cars pass by. I liked him, he was a great guy. He didn't deserve to be in this situation. He deserved more....better. The day had passed and before I knew it it was 7:30 at night,