Butterfly

We had sat in silence for the last five minutes.
"Okay listen", Luke broke the silence. "You don't have to like her or ever hang out with her but she's my roommate for this year and then that's it. I'll never have to share a room with her again".

"Unless you're dating her by the end of the year", I mumbled. He let out a deep breath and turned to face me.

"I don't want to fight Hayley. Why can't you just accept the fact that I have a friend who is a girl?"

"Because you can never accept the fact that I have friends who are guys and I don't ever say stuff like, Conor's so hot and he's like so funny, he's just so cool to hang with", I rambled and Luke sucked in breath. "How do you expect me to accept a girl you've known for a few days when you can't even accept guys I've know long before you ever even said 'hi' to me. If I wanted to fuck any of them I would've already or maybe I already have". I stared out the window and felt the air grow thick around me. I opened the car door and stumbled out. The past few days had drained me and this was just the cherry on top. I sat on the curb across the road and a few moments later Luke joined me.

"Come here", he whispered and I cuddled into his chest. "Why are we acting like idiots?" He whispered, kissing the top of my head over and over again. I cuddled into him tighter, not wanting to let him go.

"I'm just scared", I whispered. "I love you so much that it scares me".

"I love you too", he sighed and rubbed my back. "It's freezing out here, lets go back to the car". He placed his arms around my shoulder and led me to his car. It wasn't until I caught sight of myself in the mirror that I realized I was crying.

"I look disgusting", I chuckled.

"I'm not going back tonight", he said at the same time.

"Yes you are, you have to go. You're missing out", I rambled.

"But I can't leave you", he said and started to drive again.

"Yeah you can. Go, have fun. I'll be here when you return". I lay my head on the headrest and watched his concentrated face as he began to drive again.

"I'll leave in the morning first thing, I just want to be with you tonight", he said. "I'll get up at five am and drive down, and I'll be there at like ten".

"Luke I don't want you just to stay for me". I didn't want him too feel like he had to babysit me, I hated being the girlfriend who wouldn't let her boyfriend go out and enjoy himself.

"No we've barely seen each other and I'm sure mom will rather me go in the morning, she worries about me driving at night". I reached over and rubbed his shoulder.

"Fine but your bags are at your house".

"Nope they are in the back, This was my plan all along", he grinned as we pulled up my drive. I hopped out of his car and he followed me into my house.

"Hayley is that you?" Mom called from the kitchen when the door shut behind us.

"And Luke", I replied as we entered the kitchen. My mom was busy cleaning out the fridge when we entered.

"Oh have you been crying?" She asked concern laced in her voice, when she turned around.

"My period is coming soon", I stated and Luke sighed.

"Too much information sweetie", my mom grumbled and turned back to clean the fridge.

"Nice to see you too mom", I muttered under my breath and grabbed Luke's hand to bring him up the stairs.

"Hayley is that you", Lola called from her room.

I entered her room and Luke was behind me.