Chapter 34- Rhythm of Water

After a long miserable flight, we finally reached Rio de Janeiro. The Marvellous City.

When announcement came of our destination, I'd glued myself to window, trying to find the sea. Unfortunately, it was night and the superbly lit city of festivities and football encompassed everything—coming alive for its stunning nightlife. But our arrival conjoined with exhaustion of travel couldn't allow us to rejoice in, especially when condescending physicians were our sheepherders.

Sienna and I trudged out of economic compartment to exit where two pilots received passengers. One of them had features similar to young Antonio Banderas and spoke fluent Spanish. It took three seconds for Sienna to start writing fanfics in her head about him, understandable by the way her eyelashes fluttered. When we approached, I thanked both the pilots for delivering a smooth travel, and then repeated same to Spanish pilot in his language. His eyes widened as if he didn't expect a passenger complimenting in his tongue which was strange since we were in Latin America. He took my hand gently and pressed a kiss on it. I blushed and thanked him again before walking out.

"Talking to Pilots now, aren't we?" Bryce smirked as we crossed the terminal. That straw hat remained affixed, drawing curious goggles from others.

I shot him a wry look, "Uh, they flew us here without blowing the plane mid-air."

Bryce opened his mouth but got distracted by a sauntering Brazilian airhostess, her assets by far stowing any woman in vicinity miles away. Bryce's jaw dropped as he watched her walking past, leering at her backside. Sienna giggled and I concealed a smile. Typical him, tropical welcome.

"Staring at airhostesses, aren't we?" Sienna nudged me.

Once control confirmed that we were indeed humans, not bodysnatching chimps—our group gathered near conveyor belt to collect luggage. Our team had separated when we boarded. All interns except Aurora, Ines and Dr. Mirani lodged in econ class, while Emerys and Dr. Wilcock took business class and an airy comment confirmed that Dr. Ramsey sat in freaking first class. Talk about medical aristocrats. Swash, my family would probably approve of his mannerisms.

That part would not be a trouble.

Out of impulse, I peeped around. Everyone was accounted for except Dr. Ramsey. He had already left for the hotel. Considering how we parted in Boston, not seeing him here was...alright. It was touching that he came to check on me during that hour of trepidation. I almost called him by his name...almost.

Ines grabbed her trolley and waved at us, "Girls, you are with me. We are taking the vans."

"Wait, where are we going?" Dr. Malachai opined, scrunching his nose. "Guys and girls separate?"

"Yes." Ines bothered no explanation. "You will be escorted along Zaid and Dr. Wilcock. Dr. Emery and Aurora will be moving in separate vehicle."

Of course, why would dear Emerys travel with ruffians like us.

Protests rose but I called it down by injecting, "Uh...Ines, where's Dr. Wilcock?"

The blond trauma surgeon was absent, having vanished since my initial inspection. Panicked, a couple of interns searched for him until Bryce pointed, "There's Wilcock..."

We turned just in time to hear him mutter, "Yes, I'm Dr. Wilcock in case you forgot." he was making some notes, lustrous hair dishelved. "I encountered a peculiar woman suffering from keratitis and has yellow eyes." he stopped near me and lifted his head, "Charlotte, I have a question for you."

I prepared for onslaught, "Of course."

"What are the chances that Y-Chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve had proximal encounters?" he asked, looking serious. Although one should know despite being regarded as resident nutcase, Dr. Wilcock was a fine featured man. Very fine to be honest. Especially that hair...