Chapter 57- Witness

Willow was the first to go.

She looked healthy, if not nervous as with hesitant steps, she walked in front of the board. Her hair had grown slight a bit and colour had returned to her face. Behind her, stood Rowan, her never faltering twin brother.

I gave them a smile.

She nodded at me nervously again before, taking Rowan's support, began saying her story.

She said how they had been thrown open everywhere until she came here. She told how sick she was, on the verge of dying. Rowan added further notes, regarding the insurances and their problems. Both of them were in the freshman year, and were already in debt for the college.

Then she said how I had helped her to get the government funded study to pay for her medications.

Dr. Carlisle frowned angrily, "So you are saying, Dr. Turner found a way to circumvent hospital policy and law to help you?"

Willow returned the frown, "Every hospital kicked us out or was going to stick us a bill which would leave us bankrupt. I know you never care the situation of us patients, except for the money we burn down."

Rowan gripped his sister's shoulder, hair sticking out without his beanie, "Dr. Turner stuck her neck in for us, finding a way so that my sister would live. Which one of you ever did that for someone like us? And we are barely even adults."

Before Carlisle could add, Harper waved him off, "I know about this. I signed the paperwork myself. I don't see any reason why this is wrong. Edenbrook has not spent a single cent on their case and plus it gave us the opportunity to open up for governmental aids."

The board members nodded at this discussion and took notes.

"Thank you, Willow, Rowan. You can leave."

Willow shot me a shaky smile but I flashed her thumbs up. She grinned and both of them sat four rows behind where the seats were empty. Next, Mrs. Shondra came, her hands free of any gadgets while looking constantly at her wrist watch.

Dr. Loyaza asked her, "We were told that Dr. Turner almost got you killed."

"Did she? I can see I am very much alive." Mrs. Shondra replied dryly. The audience chuckled, even the questioner. Then she jerked her face in my direction and asked, "You are a professional. How would you tell us about Dr. Turner?"

Mrs. Shondra shrugged and glanced at her watch again, "I don't see the reason for the question even. Dr. Turner is young, very young actually, except when I had the failure for the second time, she fluidly carried out every order, multitasking at the same time which is often seen in rare minds. If you don't agree, the kind nurses who were present can tell you." Then she looked in my direction, "I have seen many of my interns in my firm, and none of them actually listen. But the true personnel comes, when you actually listen to someone's advice and take it to heed granted. Dr. Turner not only respected me, but she also heard my advice, even though she was my doctor. This speaks the case of benevolence."

Loyoza smiled in my direction and dismissed the witness. Mrs. Shondra nodded at me and I gave her a head dip. Without waiting, she walked out of the auditorium. Remy came next, his face still brimming but a dark expression behind him. Without waiting for any question, he barged in,

"Before you all ask any questions. Dr. Turner is an amazing surfer."

The audience laughed at this and even I shook my head as he continued, "I know what you all gonna ask. Like  if she is the big bad we are talking or not." he thinned his lips and waved his hair sideways like a model, " Well, someone who gives you the news that your muscles are going to turn popsicles when you would be suffering from midlife crisis is something you never want to hear." he informed with a sad voice.