Chapter 55- Diagnostic Principles

I hammered my knuckles on Ethan's door, unwilling to say the amount of time which only keeps dragging me back to his place. I rang the buzzer a few times and when I knocked the door again and turned the knob, it slid open.

He had left the door....unlocked?

Was he crazy to invite burglars into his house?

What was the purpose of all those automatic locks if he had left the door opened?! Impatient, and huffing, I walked inside his flat. The living room was cleaned and the smell of faint dishwasher lingered as if the housekeeper had just left. I called Ethan's name a few times but there was no answer.

A pit fell on my stomach.

What if he wasn't at home?

Time was running out. Like real deal quick.

I turned some others doors and looked inside to find them empty and then finally, decided to not look up on the stairs before I checked the bedroom. The room's door was left ajar and when I pushed it open, calling his name again, I finally found him.

In the bed.

Sleeping.

I scowled and swiftly took off the covers from his body to find him sound asleep and...smelling of scotch. His hand tried to find the cover back to pull on him but I dragged it out of his bed. He was exactly like I had left him in the morning. Same clothes, tousled hair. The only difference was, he was pretty much smelling of alcohol factory. And...my eyes widened in disbelief as I looked at the digital clock on the table beside the bed.

"What the hell, Ethan! Wake up! It's like...3 pm already!"

He grunted and pushed his head deeper into the pillows. At some other time, I would have found it extremely cute, but now with Dr. Banerji on my head?

Sighing, I kicked my boots and jumped on him. Turning him by the shoulders, I crawled to straddle him which finally broke his meritorious slumber. I leaned forward and touched his face, running my hand slowly. He pressed his eyes hard before opening them. With the sunlight streaking from the unveiled curtains, his eyes were so light that they almost reminded me of the colour of Caribbean waters. He blinked a few times, trying to find focus and then smiled, finding me on top of him.

"Charlotte....what a nice way to wake up." He smirked but I noticed that his voice was a bit slurred. Seeing Ethan Ramsey in this condition surprised me to an extent of thousand times. I smiled back but kept the words hurried, "I need you to come with me. Freshen up. I'll explain everything later."

He turned his head and the sunlight fell on him. He winced.

Shit.

I was not able believe this, "Wait...are you hungover?! Like right now? Like in middle of the day?!"

He shielded his arms which flexed with the contraction over his eyes and replied, "A little? You kept me very up last night."

I flushed and looked away, "Well, come on...we need to go!"

"My tolerance isn't as it was when I was young."

I pried his arms which were like steel, "Well, newsflash, you are still young and..." I sighed, "Dr. Banerji needs you."

Under me, I felt him tensing just as his face, "Naveen? Charlotte...I don't think I can-"

I cut him off, "I figured it out."

And then launched into explaining my theory for the next two minutes with the possible mode my words conjugated out of my mouth. His eyes widened in realisation and holding my waist, he pushed himself off. He grabbed my face, "My God. You're right."