Chapter 22- Flipsides

The next morning, I woke up to hush arguing outside my room.

Blinking, I frowned upon seeing that I had left my door open whole night. My memories were scarce. I came home, gave a brief report about party—I meant gave a brief description and handed the food to my roomies before tuning in for night. Bryce left after dropping me and I didn't think about him. Of course, when I had witnessed my boss and godfather working on two immobile patients secretly with a thick-black liquid spurting from them—my mind was bound to remain stagnant there.

"It was yours!" a shriek came and I fumbled out of my bed. That was Sienna but who was she screaming at?

Out of my room, I found her and Landry glaring daggers at each other. Sienna was behind the kitchen counter while Landry leaned against the dinner table, arms crossed.

"You were supposed to do it yesterday, Landry!" Sienna whisper-yelled, "How can you forget?"

Landry snapped, "I wasn't—it was supposed to be you!"

"I got it last week! This week was supposed to be yours!" she replied and stomped down before throwing the fridge open. I was startled to see that there was next to nothing inside.

Sienna allayed the same, "There is nothing in the fridge! All the jars are lying empty and it wouldn't take a blind man to know that we are starving!" her lips wobbled and I thought her legs were shaking as well, "I haven't cooked anything for almost three weeks now! Charlotte...fuck, I've never even seen her eating anything. She never complaints but have you seen her?! Have you seen yourself?!"

Jeez...I needed to go in.

"Guys..." I announced my presence and walked towards them, "What's wrong?"

Seeing me, Sienna closed her eyes and let out a frustrated cry, "Landry forgot to fill in groceries yesterday...or maybe even days before. I lost track."

What? Heck...how long has it been since we ate together? Two weeks? Three weeks? Even I had lost the track of time. Since the beginning of this month, we haven't been going to hospital together as usual. Landry was the early bird, leaving before us both. Then I and Sienna often ventured together—without our breakfast because we would be so scared of nurses reporting us late or on prospect of finding numerous new cases waiting. And at nights, both of them returned late from bar and would be intoxicated to directly tuck in. I on other hand studied late and then dimmed the lamp. Holy...we didn't even have dinners together anymore!

How has it been even going on!?

My mind found opportunity to allege me. You are a bad friend, Charlotte.

Hearing Sienna's remark, Landry shouted, "She was supposed to buy it as far as I can remember! Ye can't blame me for everything, Sienna."

"Really? I don't blame you for staying awake whole night and moving in house like a ghost to study for your competition." She shot back, and literally jumped over the counter—looking up hard to Landry's face! "Do you even think about us? DO we even mean something?!"

Horrified, I cried, "Sienna!"

She continued, "Or are we now hurdle in your path too! COMPETITORS!"

"Guys! Guys!" I jumped between, "Stop fighting." And pushed them gently back, "Stop! This isn't something we should fight over. I'll get the groceries."

For a moment, silence passed between three of us before tears welled in Sienna's eyes and she threw her hands up, "Well, then you have to keep buying for this house till end of time because I'm broke!" and thumped down on a dinner chair.