Chapter 5

-Santa Anita, Big Cap Day-

Today was both Duchess' and Emily's first start as 4yr olds. The two fillies would face older males in the Santa Anita Handicap. 

"The Santa Anita Handicap runners go to post in 20 minutes. Your racers this year are:

1. Duchess Of Winter 5/1

1A. Emily The First 2/1

2. Torpedo Mania 7/1

3. Catastrophic 12/1

4. Devastate The Legend 20/1

5. Hollywood Classic 3/1

6. Pioneerof The Sea 5/1

Not many people supporting Duchess Of Winter in the betting." 

I knew nobody would bet on Duchess. Half were mad at me for lying, half of the other half because they think Duchess is weak, and the ones who voted because the believed in me and my filly.

Jones looked Duchess and Emily over. Feeling their legs and observing their form and attitude in the paddock. Duchess was eager to get back into action, Rosie was riding her today. Nicole was on Emily.

Jack was still in Europe. So he would not be able to see Emily in person at her race.

Nathan didn't seem the same. I wandered if something happened between him and Jones or somebody else. He was being so nefarious. I wanted to talk to him, but I didn't know what to say. I hated seeing him like this. I walked over to him and just let the words come and roll.

"Big day." I say and look at Emily and Duchess. "Could you ever imagine we'd be working together?" I have no idea why I asked him that.

"No." He says. I feel a little pain in my chest and I look at him. "I mean-uh, sure, sure I did." He says as a quick recovery. I thought it was cute so I laugh.

"Our silks do look good though." I say, First Winter Farms silks were hot pink, with a black bolt going over the left should and down to the chest. Emily now ran with black blinkers.

"Yeah, they're nice." He says, I look at him again. He was really ticking me off. Sooner or later I might need to fly to Europe and have a one-on-one meeting with Jack if this didn't get better.

"Chill, we're going to be good today." I say and then they called for riders up.

I gave Rosie a leg up on Duchess. I tried to catch up with Nathan and walk with him to the owners box, but I didn't see the point. He obviously didn't want to talk to me or be near me today. I started to regret the whole partnership.

In the ownersbox I sat on the other side of Mikkie; therefore Jones and Mikkie were in between Nathan and I. Whatever Nathan was going through I hoped he would get over it quick because it wasn't helping me at all with my already mad state. He needed to stop being salty and just chill.

Rosie's POV

Mikkie led us to the track. Caitlyn wasn't proud at all with me when we did our workout. Afterwards she had a talk with me and told me if I didn't pick it up, I would be replaced on a dime. That really scared me. Caitlyn was turning into her dad more and more everyday. She has now finally realized what position she is in and what she needed to do. All I wanted to do was have an awesome performance so I wouldn't face her wrath. Nathan looked to have already irritated her enough today.

"Good luck girls." Mikkie says unclasping Duchess. I nod and smile. I warmed up Duchess and felt good about today, but once at the gate, my heart dropped to my stomach. I knew I couldn't back out now. I was stuck. We were in position 1 which lighten me up a little. As we were loaded in the gate I took deep breaths and leaned forwards into Duchess' ear. 

"Let's show them you can bounce back like a bouncy ball." She started to count when I said this. "That's my girl."

Ring, Bang.

The gates flew open a Duchess shot right out. We were right behind Torpedo Mania and Catastrophic.

"Nice start girl. Now let's chill for a while." I say to her. I look back to find Emily and Nicole, but I couldn't see them. I became worried. Nicole never opened up to me and was always bratty, but I wanted to be her friend.

I could tell Duchess wasn't herself. She new Emily was on our side now, and I could feel the worry by her manner.

I gave her a little chirp and she flicked her ears. I decided to wait for Emily and not make a move, but if Emily didn't bounce back, I would lead Duchess straight for the front. Into the stretch Emily was nowhere so I made my move and easily guided Duchess to the front. Out of nowhere Emily flys by.

"Crap! That horse is fast!" I chirp to Duchess again. She picked it up. I noticed Emily start to labor. I knew we had a very small window of opportunity now; therefore I whipped Duchess. She gained ground fast but not fast enough. The wire flew by. I stood in my stirrups to here the last part of the call:

"...by 2 lengths on wire, Duchess of Winter flying at her late to check 2nd..." After that much I zoned out. Caitlyn wasn't going to be happy. I followed Emily to the winners circle but stopped right before it. Caitlyn, surprisingly, looked happy when she smiled at Nicole, but then she walked over to me.

"What was that?" She says.

"I'm sorry, I was waiting for Emily, but when she flew by I wasn't expecting it so I made my move to late, and besides Duchess wasn't herself."

She sighs, "It's alright. I just expect next time to be A LOT better, understood?"

"Understood."

"Good, you to still had a heck of a run. Any further I think you would have caught Emily, but we are on Emily's side now so it's all good."

I smile at her slight humor and relaxation. I hop down and she takes Duchess off the track. I take the tack and go in to wiegh myself. We needed to up out game and bring Duchess back.