What Trent didn't say

Two days later no one had seen either of the just married couples. Her father expected Cara to know something but she was just as in the dark as they were. Restless, not in his own domain, she knew he wanted to return home. Cara saw that Richard's father and mother were more patient. They seemed to be enjoying the diversions to be found in a large kingdom.

Where were they? Well, of course, Cara knew the answer to that question. They were still in their suites, apparently living on love and perhaps a stock of wine, pastries, fruit and sweets. Still, Cara was anxious to see her sister and best friend as were many others. But two days came and went and still no sign of them.

Then, on the morning of the third day, Evie and Richard appeared while Cara, her father, and brother were eating breakfast in the great hall. "Evie," said Cara rising from her seat and going to her. Greeting her with a big hug, she said, "Evie, I'm so glad to see you again."

"Yes," said Evie who then added, "I'm famished for something tasty to eat. I will tell you that one cannot live on cookies, fruit and pastries. Look at me, I'm gaining weight already."

"Oh, Edie, you look wonderful, so fresh and relaxed, I might add."

By this time her father and brother had also risen from the table to greet the newly married couple. Cara saw her father hug his daughter and extend a warm knight's handshake to Richard and then her brother Gilbert did the same. They made space for them and Evie sat between she and her father while Richard sat down next to Gilbert.

In a way it seemed a bit hard to make conversation. Evie and Richard had been together for over two days in only their own company. Everyone was quite aware of that. So, they talked about food, of course, of how well it tasted, and then the waiter brought more for Richard and Evie so they could also enjoy it. To Cara, Evie looked wonderful but when her sister expressed that she was tired, though it was only morning, what could anyone say? From across the table Cara heard her brother ask Richard how things were going. What a question to ask newlyweds, she thought to herself.

Richard answered him. "Going well. Getting to know each other more in the last two days than ever before." Then with a smile directed toward Evie he added, "Already I've learned some things about your dear sister and she's learned some things about me that we didn't know before our wedding."

Cara saw Evie take a quick look at her but her sister didn't add anything to that conversaton.

Then Trent came to their table. "Sorry I couldn't join you," he said. "Short meeting, but important."

Cara from her seat looked up at him. "Nothing serious, I hope?"

"We are trying to learn more," he answered. "But let's not think about that now. Evie, I'm so glad for you and Richard. Finally, after your long wait you're married." He went to her and gave her a big hug. "Congratulations," he said, extending a hand to Richard. "May you and Evie be as happy as Cara and I." He lovingly put a hand on Cara's shoulder.

"Trent, you eat with Evie and Richard. I want to get back to the children. I don't want to leave them so long with their sitter. See you soon then? No more meetings this morning?"

"None. I'll join you shortly."

Cara left after saying goodbye to her father, brother, and the newly married couple. She wondered especially at what the early morning meeting was about. It seemed like things just went from one thing to another. Always, there was something to be concerned about. She hoped nothing serious.

Today was Saturday, and on this day Trent, she and the children could spend a good part of the day with her father and Gilbert. It was the last time she would see them for a while, for they would be departing in the morning after early mass. The six of them went to a place not far where there was a park with a stream and small lake. There they picnicked, and she was glad to let the children, who were now just learning to walk, try their legs out on the soft grass of the meadow. It was a wonderful time for Cara, talking with family about things old and new. They even played a little game with Kirah and Brendan. She was happy to see them smile and felt joy to hear their laughter. They were so charming and innocent.

Much later, when the children were already down and she had said her goodbyes to her father and brother, a familiar knock came at their door. It was Justin and Gianna.

"Gianna! Justin!" said Cara, speaking softly but welcoming them with open arms. "Trent, Justin and Gianna are here."

"Sorry to be coming so late, but we stopped by earlier and you were out. So much has been going on with the wedding and all, but we both felt it would be good to get together with our best friends," said Gianna.

"We're glad to see you. Come in and sit down. The children are asleep but if we're quiet they will be fine." She led them to the living room.

Cara went to the kitchen to get some  deserts she had saved from the day before and she also poured drinks.

Trent said, "Justin, you're looking good. I take it marriage so far hasn't been hard on you."

"Not too hard. I'm feeling good."

Cara saw Gianna smile. Patting Justin's knee as they sat together on the divan she said, "Yes, I think marriage agrees with him. It does with me."

"It sure beats sleeping in the woods, whether on the ground or in a tent. I've slept with horses many a time, and they're warm. But there's nothing like sleeping with the woman you love."

"Amen!" interjected Trent, and both men lifted their mugs to that.

Then began a comfortable conversation of this and that and just about anything that came to mind. It wasn't until later, just when they were ready to leave that Justin said to Trent, "Heard there was quick meeting this morning. Anything special?"

"Yes," Trent answered, "But I've so much enjoyed this evening with you. Let's talk about it another time."

Cara saw Justin look at Trent with suddenly heightened curiosity, though he said nothing. As their guests were ready to leave, Trent and Cara escorted them to the door. It had been wonderful to be in company with them. But now Cara's curiosity was aroused. What was it that Trent was not telling them?