"My love for you is. . ."

Trent stared at her. He could not believe what she had just said to him. His first thought was to stifle her, to quickly silence her obnoxious tongue. No one had ever spoken to him before as she had just done. No woman, certainly. Only Daniel would actually tell him he was wrong. But Daniel was a man and a friend whose thoughts he had learned to give credence to.

She stood there, thankfully not saying any more. She was waiting for him, waiting for him to speak in answer to what she had said. Suddenly, it came to Trent that this girl, this girl who came from a small kingdom far away, was more than she seemed. She had the temerity to disagree with a prince. To in effect tell him he was wrong! He smiled at that and then could hardly keep from laughing though no sound escaped from his lips.

Cara looked at him, not knowing what to think. "You think it is funny, my prince?"

"You are funny, my lady. In a most delightful way."

"Trent, I just told you what I thought. I mean, maybe I was wrong to speak to you in that way. Maybe I shouldn't have said. . ." Cara was unable to say more, for she was captured in Trent's embrace and her soft lips were covered by his. She could not have cried out if she wanted to. His kiss deepened, pressing into her. His left arm held her close while his right hand touched her, no, caressed her in such a way that she leaned into him, not wanting him to stop.

But stop he did, not with his arms that still held her close, but with his lips, for he raised his head and looked into her eyes with a bright smile. "Ah, my kitten, I want you all to myself."

Cara scarcely knew what to say in answer. She looked up at him dreamy eyed. "I want you too, my prince." She had no idea what caused him to do what he did, and she was mystified that he did so after she had told him what she had. Someday, she hoped he would explain to her what just happened, but for now she was content not to know. To know only that he loved her.

"I have something to tell you," he said.

"What is it," she said, wondering what it might be.

"I will tell you on the night we are wed.'

"Then? Why then? Tell me now, Trent."

"Because," he hesitated. "Because then I will know you are mine."

"I am yours already, Trent," She looked appealingly into his eyes, hoping he would tell her.

But he didn't. Instead, he said, "We should go back, the others may be long since ready to leave.

"Yes," she said, taking his hand as they walked back through the woods toward their friends. All the way back she wondered what he was going to tell her on their wedding night.

* * *

The next day was one to remember. She was pleased to eat breakfast with her family, father, brother, and Evie. Their talk went of course to the wedding. Despite that it was her own wedding, there were many things that Cara didn't know and would have to find out later. In fact, she didn't even know what dress she would be wearing.

When she and her family returned to their suites, Cara had scarcely time to turn around when a knock came on her door. Three young women bade her come with them. To Cara, it seemed like they were on a mission, and she further thought that they might have been sent by the queen. They led her to another part of the castle to a large room with a mirror and opened three wide wardrobes filled with finery fit for a queen. The ladies invited Cara to look over the garments, to feel the exquisite fabrics and to begin to make selections.